WAX files do not open in Windows Media Player...Windows 7

mark4man

MoonMix Studios
hello...

have been setting up all the *.wma files on my music web site to stream as directed by *.wax files. everything was fine in XP Pro...but now I've gone over to Windows 7; & noticed that when I click on one of the *.wma's at my site...it doesn't stream...Windows 7 asks me if I want to open or save the file. no matter which option I choose...it treats it as a text file (opening the *.wax in Notepad).

not sure what I've done wrong or am missing.

thanx,

mark4man

I was curious as I had never heard of .wax files.....

They are shortcuts that POINT to a .wma file.
So if the original file is not in the exact same place as it points to, it wont do anything
(as you are experiencing...)

huh...???

didn't u hear me say that the wax files were working fine in XP...???...which means that the wma's haven't changed location or the coding in the wax file hasn't been altered.

the only thing that has changed is that I went to Windows 7 from XP Pro.

mark

Last edited:
Try .ASX metafiles. They have the same structure as .WAX files (WAX files are just ASX metafiles used for audio streams).

thanx...

so...I just change the format on the text file from *.wax to *.asx...???

mark4man

asx didn't work either.

I changed the music files all over to *.mp3...& the metafiles (pointers) to *.m3u...& they all work fine.

the only reason I went w/ *.wma's at all is that sound fractionally better than an *.mp3...but not so much so that it outweighs causing a problem for my visitors.

thanx 4 ur help,

mark4man

Back