Waves plugins - Mono or Stereo?

Dehaan

I want to buy the waves doubler - because I want to make my mono vocals sound stereo.

Waves plugins have mono and stereo versions.

If my original vocals are recorded in mono,
and I apply the waves doubler:
- Do I use the mono version - because its RECORDED IN Mono?
- Do I use the stereo version - because I want it to BECOME stereo?

And Then - After the vocals are processed with the waves doubler - they are STEREO.

If I want to use another waves plugin (e.g. reverb) on the same track, after the doubler.
- Do I use the mono version of reverb - because the vocals were originally RECORDED IN Mono?
- Do I use stereo version of reverb - because the track in now stereo because of the waves doubler?

a simple way to think of it: An insert on a mono track you would typically use a mono effect. Using on a stereo group or an FX channel, a stereo effect would likely be best.

No rules, just what works for whatever works best for the situation...

Select based on what you want to hear rather than what's going on.
If you want your chorus/reverb/delays to be stereo effects, then use the stereo version of the plugin.

Using on a stereo group or an FX channel, a stereo effect would likely be best.

The person at waves who emailed me also mentioned a stereo bus/FX bus - I assume that is the stereo group or Fx channel you mentioned above.
I dont know what a stereo/fx bus is.
In FL studio in the Mixer there are just insert1, insert 2 etc. What change would I need to make it a stereo bus/group?

I don't know FL studio myself but some DAWs handle this automatically for you and others expect you to do it.
Protools, for example, lets you put a mono or stereo effect on a mono track.
If you put a stereo reverb on a mono recording it remains a mono recording but the output meters switch to stereo to reflect the stereo output after the plugin.

Sending a mono audio track to a stereo aux track is manual setup, in PT anyway.
I can choose to send that mono track to input left/1, or right/2, or both.

Again, not sure how that is in FL but maybe you can have a dig and figure it out, or someone else will come along and let us know. :)

Some stereo effects may also 'make' a mono signal stereo by applying some separation to the effect, i.e panning the original partially one way, and the double the other.

Back