Want to isolate an instrument from downloaded MIDI files. What software do I need

sorefingers00

Hi,
New to this. I want to download midi files of songs from the internet and then mute all instrument except the guitar so I can figure the guitar part more easily. What software would I need to do this? Thanks in advance.
sorefingers

Cubase, Logic, or pretty well all the common ones, including the cut down, more affordable versions.

Be careful though - I'd estimate 5% of the files downloadable are good, a few more usable with tweaking and the remainder the biggest pile of rubbish you will ever hear. The musical equivalent of a blind person painting landscapes without being able to see colours, or even know if there are hairs in the paintbrush. Seriously, many are simply dreadful. So many are also renamed and slightly tweaked versions of the same bad original.

You will find a small, number of excellent ones - but success depends on more than just the software, it's also the quality of your sound producing devices. Cheap sound cards with a GM MIDI set can have simply dreadful sounds.

Keep in mind that MIDI guitar parts can also be really inaccurate. Often nothing at all like the originals. What exactly have you got in mind? I produce quite a lot of backing tracks, and while sometimes MIDI downloads can be a guide, in most cases, you end up re-recording everything.

Today I looked at an Eagles MIDI file and the bass part and guitars were kind of right, but no use if you'd never heard the original.

Thank you for your answer.

Thank you for answering question. I kinda figured that most of the files would be crap. But, you answer does tell what I need to know.
Thanks again,
sorefingers00

Cubase, Logic, or pretty well all the common ones, including the cut down, more affordable versions.

Be careful though - I'd estimate 5% of the files downloadable are good, a few more usable with tweaking and the remainder the biggest pile of rubbish you will ever hear. The musical equivalent of a blind person painting landscapes without being able to see colours, or even know if there are hairs in the paintbrush. Seriously, many are simply dreadful. So many are also renamed and slightly tweaked versions of the same bad original.

You will find a small, number of excellent ones - but success depends on more than just the software, it's also the quality of your sound producing devices. Cheap sound cards with a GM MIDI set can have simply dreadful sounds.

Keep in mind that MIDI guitar parts can also be really inaccurate. Often nothing at all like the originals. What exactly have you got in mind? I produce quite a lot of backing tracks, and while sometimes MIDI downloads can be a guide, in most cases, you end up re-recording everything.

Today I looked at an Eagles MIDI file and the bass part and guitars were kind of right, but no use if you'd never heard the original.

Back