VST Connections,

1 mono input per simultanious mono source. One stereo software output, with the left channel going to one mono hardware output, the right channel going to another. Unless you have a stereo hardware output, in which case it would be one stereo software output with the left going to hardware left and the right going to hardware right.

If you can tell us roughly what you're wanting to record, I can be more precise about exactly what you need to do. I assume as you mention 'VST connections', that you're using Cubase?

What's not to get?

You place the emphasis of your question on mono/stereo. Most effects are stereo, but if you want to place stereo effects on a mono source you will need to route the mono to a stereo channel, and place the effect there. In most cases you will then route this to your stereo master out.

PS, if you are talking about physical connections you will want at least a L/R pair of inputs (mic 1 and 2 from your pre-amp) and outputs (stereo master out). Cubase should tell you what connections are available.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't much like Cubase's hardware interface, either. It can be confusing. Chptr 1 of the manual explains it, but not so great.

I have a stereo interface going through an SPDIF port. So my connections look like this:
VST-Connections-Inputs.jpg
For the Inputs, I only connect a stereo bus. If I need a Mono track, I just select Mono when creating the track then Right or Left channel of the stereo bus in the pulldown menu. It's pretty straightforward.

VST-Connections-Outputs.jpg

Here are the outputs. Be sure to click in the Click box so you can hear the metronome. Aye, you don't know how long it took me to figure that one out. :confused:

I think all ASIO is a stereo pair, which is just 2 seperate mono tracks if you want to think of it that way.

I think all ASIO is a stereo pair, which is just 2 seperate mono tracks if you want to think of it that way.
No, that wouldn't be true. The ASIO driver doesn't determine if a channel is stereo or mono. It really comes down to if you want to make the connection Mono or Stereo.

Here I created two nwe Mono connections using the same channels as the one stereo connection. Doesn't matter to teh ASIO driver.

VST-Connections-InputswMono.jpg

Hi Chili,

My EMU mixer dictates all ASIO connections are in pairs... you can always simply set up one side of the pair in a Cubase connection though (As it appears you are doing).

Fariz,

In Chili's pictures of the VST Connections panel, you can click on the "Device port" (the bits highlighted in yellow on his pic) and you should get a list of available connections.

Once you have set up the connections in Cubase you then need to tell your individual tracks which connection to use.

What's not to get?
Whenever we watch quiz shows here at home, the answers to the questions are so easy.......if you know them !
I've had Cubase SE and I use Essentials 5. I only use it to house my VSTis as I record to a portastudio and a standalone DAW. And both times, being largely computer illiterate in 2004 and muzzy headed by 2009, trying to simply connect all the bits then get it to talk to my controller keyboard was a headache par excellence that took months, involving phone calls to Germany, waiting literally for hours on hold {when I did actually get through and that took two weeks of near constant phoning} and not being able to understand the technical advice given, even when I said explain it like you would to a 9 year old just starting with computers, reading the manual until all the words on the page turned to one black mass, wasting money going on a Cubase course in which the producer that ran it couldn't hook me up, asking lots of either music recording or computer savvy friends, none of whom could help, treading around the various music shops in the West end asking for advice and being spoken to like a bleedin' IT grand master wunderkid, taking all my tackle up to a shop that kindly offered the help of their IT expert on the day he was in........
Cheese Louise ! What's not to get ???:confused: :D

The funniest thing is that both times, I managed by {humongous} trial and {plentiful} error to get the things connected. I don't know how ! I couldn't tell you now. The second time was most embarrasing as I'd taken all my tackle to the famous Chappels of Bond Street and did what I had been doing for months in trying to show the IT guy and VST woman how it just would not connect and work. And I pressed a key on the MIDI keyboard to show how there was no sound. And I heard sound ! I was mystified.
It's been great since, though. And it was in my quest back in late 2009 that I was directed back to HR which I'd forgotten I'd joined about 4 years previously. So some good came of it !

Hi Chili,

My EMU mixer dictates all ASIO connections are in pairs... you can always simply set up one side of the pair in a Cubase connection though (As it appears you are doing).

Yeah, that confused me at first. I don't like EMU's software very much.

Cheese Louise ! What's not to get ???:confused: :D

Point taken Grim... and this is the Newbie section... so apologies for being so insensitive and stirring up all your bad memories :) Here is my attempt to explain the connections...

1. Your soundcard hardware needs drivers to make it visible/available for the applications on your computer... they are an interface between your software and hardware.
2. For Cubase ASIO drivers work best. Most soundcards will come with ASIO drivers for you to install, or you can install something like "asio4all" which works with most sound cards, and you can download for free.
3. A basic soundcard should now have ASIO input and output connections available for Cubase, but the EMU cards, for example, have a mixer where you need to set up the connections.
4. So then you can start up Cubase, which lets you configure/organise the connections the drivers have made available (as Chili has described).
5. You also need to tell any recording track which input connection to use.

Point taken Grim... and this is the Newbie section... so apologies for being so insensitive and stirring up all your bad memories :)
It's an odditty for sure, but though at the time it was hugely frustrating, I kind of look back on those times fondly ! I learned that eventually I'll get there so there was never a point at which I just gave up. Mind you, your explanation there would have been helpful back then. That's why these kind of forums with specific headings can be worth there weight in gold.

Back