VS 840 Question for Jim Marquard

dan

Jim,
I was reading one of your replies about the difference between the 880 and 840. On of the things you mentioned was that the 840 could not be connected to the Roland burner. You then said that you burn with the 840, but it would have to be burned using your PC. Can you explain to me exactly how one can do that (include what equipment please)? Thank You

My name is not Jim, but I can tell you how I do it. :) I have the 880, but this method should work for any of the VS workstations.

I mix the tracks from my VS down to the PC using a Soundblaster Live and Soundforge. You can substitute any soundcard and software that will allow you to connect an out (hopefully digital) of the VS to the PC and record a wav file. Then I edit that wav file using various software (optional step really, but I recommend it to get a better sound on cd) and burn it to CD. If the wav sounds like you want it once it's recorded to the PC, then you can just burn it. I like to try to master it some (using Soundforge mostly) before actually burning it to disc. I use the digital out on my 880, connected to the digital in on the SB Live via an RCA 75ohm video cable. Not sure if the 840 has digital I/O. Even though I can connect the burner directly to my 880 via the SCSI port, I find recording the wav into the PC and burning cds from there much easier. I'm sure there are other ways, but this works very well for me.

Hi Dan,

Sorry, but you got me confused with another Jim. I caught that same thing earlier this month. I do not own a VS 840, I merely have taken a ling look at the data related to it. I am recording purely in the analog domain and I am looking at VS and ADAT options because of how close they are to analog style recorders. Otherwise, my expertise comes from reading reviews and spec sheets. I just try to be thorough in my research so that when I do drop a load of money I won't get a big surprise when I open the box that my next recording system comes out of.

Peace, Jim

Back