Thread: Voice and breathe

Thanks

Voice and breathe

Sign in to disable this ad
    Whasup everyone, I am just rapping with a friend for the fun of it. He makes beats using fruity loops and I rap using the default Sound Recorder that comes with Windows. I have a few questions for experienced users.

1.) I don't like my voice very much by itself with a beat, I just don't think it sounds to good and doesn't mix well. Is there any free recording software that can help give a little something extra to my voice?

2.) Should the voice be really loud or just normal talking voice?

3.) Should the beat be loud?

4.) When doing the raps I run out of breathe eventually, is there any way to work on this? Just keep rapping and build up my air capacity? Or is there a good way to break it up into enough pieces so I don't run out.

Thanks ahead of time guys!

Thanks
    Hi, I'm not the "experienced" user you asked for but I can answer your questions if no one else does.

1)http://www.thegaragedoor.com/home/free.html is a place you can grab free software but I don't know exactly what you're looking to add to your voice (i.e. reverb, echo, just some EQ adjustments, etc.) I also am unfamiliar with the exact effects included with the software or what kind of plugins are available for download. Check out the software's website for reference.

2)This is a style question. My favorite rapper Guru from Gangstarr pretty much always talked. A rapper such as Tupac has much more emotion and inflection in his rapping. Mic placement when singing, how hard you sing, what type of inflection you put on it: these are all what builds your particular style. Whatever you like, go with it.

3)Another style question. Use your judgement. No one can tell you how loud it should be. Of course most people can tell when something sounds right. If it sounds good to you then go for it.

4)Don't sing an entire verse on one breath. Get your breath back when you can. If there's a pause in the lyric, if only for a second, then catch some more air. Pretty obvious. If you have a serious problem with it then you'll have to taylor your lyrics and flow around your air capacity. Check out breathing for singing sites for reference.

These are some very broad questions. My best advice to you is to get something recorded and post it in the "MP3 mixing clinic" or "rap/hip-hop" forums. Plenty of people here to offer constructive criticism of your work.

For hosting so others can hear check out www.soundclick.com, that's what I use. There's plenty others too, just look around.

And of course browse the forums here. I've learned plenty just by looking and reading.

Good luck

Thanks
    Thanks man I'll give it a try

Thanks
    Kristal Audio Engine is a great free program that has the ability to use VST effects. It might take some time to understand how to use Kristal and the effects, but it is a great way to get a fairly "professional" product for nothing. And you kan get TONS of free, great quality effects at KVR Audio. As far as the breathing thing, practice will help, but for now work on the placement. Nose breaths are easier on recordings, but there are times when it's impossible to breathe in fast enough to respond without sounding like a freight train. Keep it up, and do a search on Kristal here. It's free, and there are a lot of people who use it that really love it.

Pete

Thanks
    Don't forget Audacity
    The leprichaun tells me what to do

and soon he will tell you too

Thanks
    Just do the Inward Singing, man, just like Jack Black!
    SnakeD-O-double G!: 5666
    my musack!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Angel
    Just do the Inward Singing, man, just like Jack Black!
    Don't forget to warm up doing penis pushups, I mean you can only do one but it all helps
    The leprichaun tells me what to do

and soon he will tell you too

Thanks
    thesingingspot.com has helped me alot, all types of music and ranges...alot of help with breath control.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Murda
    4.) When doing the raps I run out of breathe eventually, is there any way to work on this?
    Quite smoking... both of them And do cardio excercises. You'll be surprised how stuff like running and swimming improve lung capacity.
    [QUOTE=George Carlin]Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Oscar Wilde]All art is useless.[/QUOTE]

Thread Information