Vocal Recording - Constant Hiss (white noise)

bumpcity

Hello Everyone,

I've been reading through the posts and learning a lot. Thank you all for sharing and helping! :thumbs up:

I'm new to recording and I just set up my recording system to do voice overs and audio books.
Here is the setup I'm working with:

Microphone: MXL 770 Cardioid Condenser Microphone
Channel Strip: DBX 286s Microphone Pre-amp Processor
USB Interface: Focusrite 2i2
Software: Adobe Audition CC
PC: i7-2670QM 2.20GHz, 8gb Ram, Win10Pro X64

My problem is I'm getting a constant (white noise) hissing in my headphones and comes through on my recordings.
You can hear this hiss as soon as you turn up the gain instantly at the very lowest gain levels.

I've unplugged the laptop to run only on battery, but the hissing persists. (I read this tip on another post) I have also taken the channel strip out of the equation, connected the mic directly to the interface and the hiss is still there.

I also uninstalled the interface drivers, and re-installed. I was seeing online somewhere that the 2i2 had horrible drivers for win10.

Here's a sample I recorded of the hiss, you'll also notice that it changes pitches at times.

Any suggestions?
Please help :confused:

Thank you for your time

Hello,

You have to systematically isolate each component until you find the culprit.
Try a new or different cable for the microphone, being a condenser microphone it does requires a pre-amp, verify that you are using a balanced cable, preferably a XLR one. Turn on the 48v of the interface.

Test the microphone with another pre-amp perhaps connecting it directly to a Mix Console.

It seems to be more on the analog side than on the digital one.

Best regards,
GN

Don't want to be pedantic Bumps but that ain't WHITE noise! (almost any DAW will generate white noise for you to harken unto, Audacity does pink as well!).

No, that is an electronic component crackle/noise (often called "1/f " noise) and my bet is a faulty mic or a bad joint, likely screen, in the mic cable. You can prove the AI as good by setting up for a normal recording and then pulling out the XLR plug. I am not the biggest fan of the 2i2 (!) but noise should descend to better than -80dBFS and be smooth.

Dave.

Back