Vocal Distortion

ProfKillbot

Ok, so I've just set up a home studio and run into an issue I've never had in the past. When I record vocals, singing or just speaking they have this weird distortion. Really prevalent on "eee" sounds. Like a buzzing or roboty noise kind of.

I'm running a Rode NT2-A into a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, connected via Belkin Firewire 400 to 800 cable, to an Apple brand Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt converter (Focusrite swears this introduces no issues), into the thunderbolt port on a Macbook Pro running Logic Pro X. Output is through the Focusrite to some Rokit 6 Gen2 monitors.

So, I'm not sure if everything is distorted and I can only hear it on vocals, or if just the vocals are distorted, or if nothing is being distorted going in, but the speakers are distorting the output.

Here is what I have done to test:

Switched out Focusrite with old Motu 828 mk1. Issue persists.
Switched out Rode NT2-A with old condenser mic, (can't remember brand off the top of my head). Issue persists.

Ran to headphones instead of monitors. Issue is greatly diminished. I feel like I can still here something sometimes, which is the only thing making me not 100% sure it is the monitors.

The only thing is that everything else sounds really really good from these monitors. Songs off of itunes, dialogue from movies, etc.

I had a guy come over to give me a lesson in Logic and he thought it was the crossover on the Rokits (2.6kHz) which was the main frequency of the vocal tracks. I've only got about 12 days left to return all the different things. So if anyone has any ideas I would really love to hear them.

Thanks,
Sam

Get 10 posts so you can post a link or upload an MP3 of the problem file so we can hear it. I'm thinking it something in yoru Firewire conenction/conversions.

Back