vinyl to cd recording

legaldude

It's my turn for stupid questions 101.
My goal is to get my favorite tunes from vinyl and burn onto cd. I've got my turntable hooked up to my power/pre-amp and y-cable out to line input on my soundcard (sb awe 64). So far so good. I did a test run and it worked however file is HUGE!!!! Can anything be done to reduce file size to save my hard drive from explosion? Software used is "wave studio" which comes w/ soundcard. Don't know if it's any good. Just downloaded "Asia" to try. Is it better? Should I use something else? Can I use this or something else to "tweak" sound before burning cd? Finally, (really stupid) is .wav file proper format to burn onto cd or do I need to do something else? Thanks for your help!! Jay

If you are trying to save an audio file, it is going to be large. This is because you are actually saving the audio itself, which requires a lot of space on a computer's memory. If you were saving MIDI information it would be much smaller because MIDI information is instructions for audio, not actual audio. It doesn't really matter what kind of file you save it under, it will still take up a lot of space. I suggest saving it on a Zip drive if you have it. I hope I can help. I may also be way off base.
Flyin

Legaldude. Just the bare facts. If you want full CD quality audio, then the price is 650MB/74 min. Actually >4.265 more than that (2772 MB) if you want to capture it at higher (24/96) quality, mess with it, and dither back down to 44.1KHz 16 bit stereo. But don't let 650MB scare you. 6.5GB is ten of those and a 13GB HD is way less than $200. If you're multitracking, then additional tracks will increase the space required in linear fashion. So 16 CD quality tracks (8 stereo pairs) will cost you 5200MB/ 74 min. Plus another 650 MB when you mix down to two tracks so you can burn it to audio CDR.

If I'm not mistaken your asking hoe to reduce the size of the adio file. What the other guys have told you is correct, so you can be informed from their disertation.

If you are recording one complete album side at once, Then you are correct the file is huge. The best way to reduce the file size is to baby sit the turntable and record the side as single cuts. In other words , if the side has five cuts you will end up with five wave files on your hard disk, and each wills have a seperate title. This will give aproxamately the same amount of hard disk usage but each file will be easier to edit

I hope this helps

GRIZ

[This message has been edited by Grizzly (edited 12-08-1999).]

I hope no one will give me hell for this.
I was having a hard enough time compiling seperate songs into compilations on my computer R-RW. I gave in and due to frustration as well, bought a Philips(deck).
I have not regreted the decision or cost.
You would not believe how easy it will be for you to record your LP's. If you have the money, it is well worth it. I have recorded many albums, always with a RW first. After you perfect your copy , then to a permanent copy. Hope you will be succesful in your endeavor.

Back