Video screen, wifi, DAW...

mixsit

Ok, I can run your session ..but I know squat about the ins and outs of vid'.
Looks like we'll be finally replacing the old crt (TV) for a flat screen.
I was wondering would it be crazy (easy, workable..) to go wifi' out a DAW to the screen- to mix on?
:o :)

Ok, I can run your session ..but I know squat about the ins and outs of vid'.
Looks like we'll be finally replacing the old crt (TV) for a flat screen.
I was wondering would it be crazy (easy, workable..) to go wifi' out a DAW to the screen- to mix on?
:o :)

I have tried all kinds of crazy setups, here is what I can tell you, the WIFI's output is going to be really bad with latency. Not sure what DAW you use, but some support multi-monitors. I would recommend before doing that, do get a 23" screen for about $180. Now, you could use either HDMI out to your new TV or DVI to HDMI converter, that would get you there. TV's today really are nothing more than monitors. I think any other scheme you try you will really hate it. Wires are still your best friend when it comes to speed.

Ok that I can relate to. For Polking around on the web, documents fine-- But for DAW wireless mouse even drives me nuts
Yeah bigger primary screen.. Some many single plugs cover damn near most of the track view ;)

TV's and monitors are practically the same technology wise....however, TV's have speakers and a lot more hookups (and built in tv tuner, all which is extra costs that's useless in a computer context), whereas monitors usually have much higher resolution. A 22" TV will be at best 1080P (1920x1080), more likely 720P (1280x720), whereas a 22" monitor could be much higher than (up to 2550xwhatevertoolazytogoogle), and generally cheaper.

Then again, last time I directly compared prices was over two years ago, back when I used to work retail in electronics.

Regardless, with DAWs, you want high resolutions for work space.

TV's and monitors are practically the same technology wise....however, TV's have speakers and a lot more hookups (and built in tv tuner, all which is extra costs that's useless in a computer context), whereas monitors usually have much higher resolution. A 22" TV will be at best 1080P (1920x1080), more likely 720P (1280x720), whereas a 22" monitor could be much higher than (up to 2550xwhatevertoolazytogoogle), and generally cheaper.

Then again, last time I directly compared prices was over two years ago, back when I used to work retail in electronics.

Regardless, with DAWs, you want high resolutions for work space.
Wow there's so much I don't know.. Check this out.. two different 'comclusions-
'TV LCD as a monitor-
BIG Screen LCD as PC Monitor? | eBay
And one confirming what you were saying ('depends' about half way down) about resolution but also the expected distance from the screen between the two applications.
Computer monitor Vs. LCD TV as monitor - CNET Desktops Forums

Wow there's so much I don't know.. Check this out.. two different 'comclusions-
'TV LCD as a monitor-
BIG Screen LCD as PC Monitor? | eBay
And one confirming what you were saying ('depends' about half way down) about resolution but also the expected distance from the screen between the two applications.
Computer monitor Vs. LCD TV as monitor - CNET Desktops Forums

I would agree with the premise that, if it is a 1080P, you have a computer monitor. Some may differ with this assessment, but you can research it further to confirm.

Wifi is likely a nono but if you can use cable with HDMI or VGA, it works a treat on our 50 inch 1090p plasma.

Well, it works a treat for playing around. For some reason the rest of the family won't let me steal the television for use in my studio.

Back