Is this a (very) stupid question ?

No. Autopunch is different, and I never use it.

More like this:

But a lot of times I'll just loop the whole damn song, and I like to have a count in or lead time and a bit of space at the end to either "play out" for more seemless comping or just to let things ring.

That's something to think about any time you're comping, and especially if you're just doing a section of a piece, whether with autopunch or loop or even just dropping in. It's almost always best to actually play (and record) into and out of the section you're trying to capture. You can then adjust the precise point where it switches between takes, and things like ringing strings, delays or verbs will carry through and sound closer to correct and it will be a lot easier to get natural sounding seemless comps.

Phuuh..this is something different indeed, and I must say that somewhere along those lines I've been asking myself how great'll be if recording over loop would be possible. Now I can see it is. Great stuff man. Must explore this carefully, it really opens possibilities

Well, I've just tried this loop-recording method, but somehow it won't work.

Should I have shecked some record option at first? Now it's in Normal recording mode.

In one track it's just a simple drum loop, the other track is bass guitar that I recorded.
I've tried different recording options and at the end it records 1) just last fiew notes of bass guitar or 2) I get two or three duplicated layers in one track sounding like mess

Any suggestions?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

This is not at all a stupid question. I have faced the same. Well,, I have got some information from your thread and the above discussion.

Oh hell! I'm sorry I left you hanging here for so long. I think you have a thread about the over at the Reaper forum. Those folks are trying to help, but I'm afraid they're not really explaining things too well.

Until now, what I thought we were talking about is either "punching in" a section or even looping a whole song, recording a couple of takes and then choosing one to use in the final recording. In that case, you normally wouldn't really need to hear the takes played sequentially the way you seem to want. You just listen to each one and choose the one that works best. Switch the Active Take either by just clicking on the one you want to hear (you'll see the Active Take highlighted) or using the keyboard shortcut T for next (moving down the stack) and Shift-T for previous (going back up). Once you find the one you actually want, leave it Active (highlighted) or if you're sure you don't want any other others, use the action Crop To Active Take and it'll get them out of the way for you.

What you seem to be trying to do here is like create a longer recording by looping a short section and then playing all the takes in order. Honestly, this is just a pain in the ass. You're much better off dragging out the drum loop along the timeline and just not doing the loop record thing at all. Drag it out for 15 minutes if you want. Record along to it. No looping. No takes. It's all just right there and plays back exactly the way you recorded it.

But since you are where you are now, you need to copy that item and lay it out along the timeline. The easiest way is to Ctrl-Left drag the item itself. That's make a copy. Snap it's left edge to the right edge of the first. Repeat until you've got as many items as takes. Then go through and select consecutive Active Takes in consecutive items. It'll end up looking like stairs going down to the right with the first take selected in the first item, the last in the last, and walking down in between. Of course you'll have to turn off the Cycle button so Reaper will play past the selection, and you'll probably want to drag that drum loop out too. Like I said, pain in the ass.

But then going back the other way (recording just one long thing and then trying to stack it takes) is similarly frustrating.

Really hope this helps.

Back