VERY naive question: anolog to digital

arf-bagel

Sorry for such a lame question but any input would really help:

Ahem . . . I've been listening to a lot of your guys' music on MP3 and have concluded that I would like to inflict my ditties on the masses as well. I wish to convert analog to digital on the cheap. What do I need to purchase and how much would it cost? Just in case I'm not being clear, how can I "record" my demo TAPES onto my comp? Which software should I use?

Thnx for answering what might the lamest question to ever show up on this forum.

Groovy. I'm gonna check out that website right now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I already have a soundcard built into my comp don't I (HP Pavillion?)

Thanks for the response.

You probably have either a soundcard or a sound chip integrated into the motherboard. It might be OK enough to start out with. The minimum requirements for it to be useful for multitrack audio recording purposes are:

(1) that it can record at 16-bit, 44.1 kHz, and

(2) that it be capable of full-duplex operation -- that is, it can play back already-recorded audio while recording new audio. Otherwise it's useless for overdubbing purposes.

True enough AC, but if you are gonna record from cassette you can get away with a half-duplex.

To find out more about your soundcard properties arf-b, you will have to mouse around the multimedia icon in your control panel, click on the audio tab and see what kind of options you got. Also do a search of your HP for multimedia files and see if you can get anything to play back. Once you are confident you have a card and it is configured properly, I recommend d/ling winamp-www.winamp.com -with this media player you can d/l mp3's and manage them for playback, etc.

Hey bball, thanks for taking the time to help me. I've got riptide playback. Will that suit my purposes? When I bring up advanced audio properties I have hardware accelaration (none to full) and sample rate conversion quality (good to best.) I assume I want both maxed.

If you don't mind entertaining another question:

The n-track looks pretty complicated and the tutorials assume that I want to use it as a multi-track recording device when really all I want is to record of off a cassette that is already mixed down. Would you point me in the right direction on this? They make it sound very complicated synching the tracks. Is it really this tough? I was hoping to be able to just click a button and get a real time recording or am I in fantasy land?

Thank you.

thanks for the tips emeric and bball. I believe I will, indeed, go gold. It even says on the homepage "perfect converting tape and records to wave files." Yippee!!

Back