Very low sound when recording with Audacity when vsthost is active.. how to fix?

chaoshead

Somehow, the volume of my recording is very low. I have vsthost up and running (with all correct settings like in the video tutorial by helswake on youtube) and the green bars (in vsthost) are moving when i speak, but when i use i.e Audacity to record my voice and then playback the recording, my voice is VERY low. I can hear my voice, but it's very low. How and why is that? Naturally, i have set the recording volume in Audacity up to max.

It should also be noted that even with vsthost turned/shut off, the recording voice is still too low... :(

I am using an condenser mic (NT1) and a Behringer UMC202HD interface. Windows 7 64-bit. Yes, the gold dot on my NT1 mic is towards me... Also, the +48v-button says "on" behind the interface.

Is there anywhere in vsthost or the PC where i can up the recording volume, or? I have tried maxing in volume mixer and checked the mic levels in Recording properties for the mic, and i have tried to up the volumes on my Behringer interface too, but nope... it gets a LITTLE bit louder when upping the volume on the interface, but not much...

Any advises on that would be much appreciated.

I wasnt sure where to post this, so feel free to move it elsewhere.

Last edited:
To be honest I'm very confused what you're trying to do? Why are you using vsthost on a microphone? Normally they're for instruments, getting software synths working, that kind of thing.

With your behringer interface, I'd simply start audacity and make sure you are using the behringer driver, so depending on your computer, recording properties should be handled by the behringer, not Windows? Speak into the mic, adjust the gain so the meters in audacity nearly peak at the top, but don't go over. Then press record. If you can only manage a very low level on the meters then there is a problem. My guess is audacity is using the windows drivers not the Behringer one. The NT1 is a power heavy mic compared to some but I don't find any voltage issues.

Is suspect it's a settings thing. What are you using vsthost for?

Back