various mixing issues

kerkenat

I am an amateur songwriter. I use Cubase, Dorico, Sibelius ezKeys, BIAB, Groove Agent, Halion, etc to generate accompaniment tracks and scores for the lyrics I write.

I usually start with lyrics, then add the instruments tracks using vst instruments and loops, but occasionally I'll need to record real instruments through my Yamaha AG06 ai.

And I always use real vocalists, although I am kinda excited to see where the virtual singers phenomenon leads.

Anyway...

I am a newb when it comes to mixing my tracks. I've tried reading books on the subject, like:

Audio Expert by Ethen Winer
Mixing Audio by Roey Izhaki
Mixing Secrets by Mike Senior

But those books always seem to assume that:

a) You are using real instruments recorded into your tracks.
b) That the reader has the aural capability the authors apparently have.

So many things these books tell you to listen to, some I can clearly hear, but some, when before and after FX have been applied, I honestly can't hear any difference.

But my main mixing problem, related to the way I create my songs, is this:

FX can be added to

the vst instuments (or to the instruments being recorded into the ai) in a specific order, if there is more than 1.

applied as an insert or a send onto the track in a specific order, if there is more than 1.

applied as an insert or a send onto busses in a specific order, if there is more than 1.

applied to the output

applied at the mastering stage.

Another major issue I have at the mixing stage is with compression. I can easily understand it's function when it is used to control overloud clipping or overquiet buried audio signals.

But having played around with compressors, its obvious that they are also capable of very creative uses on tracks that really do not need audio signal control.

They can make instruments sound clearer, brighter, more intense, etc. This is the usage that these mixing books don't really ever delve into.

These are some aspects of mixing that I am asking for help with. I've never before tried to actually articulate my difficulties like I am doing here. I assume others have these issues.

Creative compression.
Customary sequence of fx
Customary stage at which fx should be applied.

Customary stage at which fx should be applied.

Doesn't really exist. If it did, then why wouldn't it come that way to begin with? Best to just get in there and see what each thing does, how it does it, and then spend a lot of time deciding when best to use it for your song/tracks. Developing your ears for mixing is a long and arduous process. If you are just starting to mix your own work, then, likely, what you think sounds good now will be drastically different in a few years. Thankfully, we are here to help. I suggest the mixing clinic for posting tracks...that way, we can more easily delve into how your tools (fx) are being applied...hearing it is vital.

good luck, and welcome

"Customary" can be a tricky word. It insinuates that everyone is following the same method every time. This is not always the case.

You can add effects or processing to any virtual instrument just like you can to a recorded audio track. It should behave the same. Whether it is needed or not depends on the VSTi and how it fits in the song.

You would use an FX as a send when you want to Add to the original audio. An example is reverb or a delay.
You would use an FX as an insert when you want to Alter the original audio. An example would be compression or an EQ filter.
You should avoid using anything on the output bus unless you have a specific reason for it. Any changes you think you want to make at the output you should be making on the individual tracks. There are exceptions, though.

For me, I apply effects after recording a track so I hear it during playback when I record the next track. Others might wait until everything is recorded before applying FX. In a computer based DAW program, when you apply FX, you are not changing the actual recorded track, even if it is an insert and it is changing the original audio. That means you can really apply FX whenever you want, so long as your computer can process the load.

Ideally (and maybe customary) you should not have to do much processing at the mastering stage. If there is a problem that needs to be fixed at the mastering stage, you should go back to the mixing stage and fix it there. mastering is for preparing your collection of songs to be outputted into a medium for mass production. Getting all the songs to sound similar, up to commercial volume and sequenced with spacing for whatever format you're going to put it on... CD, download, vinyl, cassette tape (lol)....

Not sure if any of this answers your questions.....

Hi Kerkenat and welcome.

I am just an old, deaf ex valve amp tech who setup a tiny recording facility for a very musical son but something IMHO was missing from your kit list?

Monitors: The 3 guys you quoted will have upward of $5000 of speaker kit, it will also sit in a very well treated room (especially Ethan's!).

I know jack about mixing but I would bet if you were listening to THEIR monitors in THEIR rooms you would hear a good deal more of what they are talking about?

N.B. Get whatever monitors you have calibrated.

Dave.

Back