Using rack effects with guitar amp

MalikktheFreak

Hey ? I was wondering how I should go about setting up a Boss RRV-10 digital reverb to my Roland Spirt 40A. I’m just getting into racks and really don’t know what are my options for setting it up. I would like to have it running through the amp and then hook my guitar through a compression pedal.
Thanks

Hey �� I was wondering how I should go about setting up a Boss RRV-10 digital reverb to my Roland Spirt 40A. I’m just getting into racks and really don’t know what are my options for setting it up. I would like to have it running through the amp and then hook my guitar through a compression pedal.
Thanks

The Spirit 40A does not, AFAICT have a conventional FX loop but instead has "Pre Out PA in" on 6.35mm jacks. The extremely poor user manual does not give any signal levels for these jacks so you will have to suck it and see! You can do no harm.

The Boss unit appears to run at -10dBu and there should therefore be no problem with overload.

So, you need two jack to jack plug cables (aka "TS") 'Pre out" to Boss in. Boss out back to "PA in".

You could also use the Boss verb as a standalone device, guitar in, Boss out to amp input but you might want other pedals in that route and it is usually best to put 'timebase' devices, chorus, reverb, in an FX loop.

Dave.

Thank you Dave! My 40a definitely has been modded by the owner before me it has two jacks in the back with a jack connect to the speaker and one empty I was wondering if maybe the previous owner tried to add a Fx Loop? Either way I’ll play around with it and try your suggested methods out.

Thank you

Thank you Dave! My 40a definitely has been modded by the owner before me it has two jacks in the back with a jack connect to the speaker and one empty I was wondering if maybe the previous owner tried to add a Fx Loop? Either way I’ll play around with it and try your suggested methods out.

Thank you

That sounds as if the previous owner wanted to connect an external speaker, a dangerous (to the amp) practice since the new speaker must be of the same or higher impedance plus the amp will likely have no short circuit protection and even a momentary shorted cable (and jacks are good at this!) will bugger it.

Stick with the front jacks, no harm there and if you can get a tech to check the mods and remove them if he so advises.

Dave.

Back