Using my hardware synth with DP

Status
Not open for further replies.

clntgn

Ok, I've asked this question on here before, but I couldn't really ever find out what was wrong. Since then I've gotten a new audio interface and a new midi interface to hopefully streamline things, yet Digital Performer 5 still does not like any of my hardware synths.

Here is my example set up, I'm fairly certain its correct:
-My computer has an m-audio firewire solo for its audio interface.
-The MIDI interface is a hosa tracklink midi to usb cable.
-I have Yamaha RX-11 connected to the tracklink by midi
-The RX-11 has its output L and R connected to the unbalanced line inputs on the Solo.

As far as I can tell from the guides I've read, that should be correct. Now, the next part is what I can't ever seem to get working right for whatever reason.

Ok, so I understand that midi works like a player piano. Those little lines that appear when I play around with the buttons on my drum machine are just data that show midi note on/off. Right. I get that. So, that's what the audio cables are for, correct? From my primitive understanding, somehow, those lines are supposed to send back the information to the drum machine and then the cables will send back the sound of the patch I'm using.

Unfortunately, this never seems to work. I have no problem using any of equipment as controllers using reason, it just seems like I can't get it to work with any of my external synths. I have a lot of old synths and stuff that I'd like to sequence with, and this problem has been bugging me forever.

I figured this out: I needed to create a stereo aux track like I did with reason, but I also needed to press a button on the front of the firewire interface that says "front/back" because I was using the back of the interface and not the front. Silly me.

I know there's a way to do it without needing to create an aux track, but honestly I don't care at this point and I'm happy to have finally gotten this done. I'll probably be deleting this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back