Using my digital recorder for live performance/mixer

Dad_of_four

I've got my asbestos suit on, let the flames fly

I have an opportunity to play live at a church bbq (30-45 set). Normally, i play straight up acoustic (mic-ed), but want to try something different. I have 10 -12 songs I'd like to play, and I'd like to use my digital "recording" as backing tracks (just mute out my vocals for the live performance). My issue/question:

Is it wrong to do this with my current setup (TASCAM DP-01)? One issue to resolve is moving from song to song (it takes way too long to load up between each song). My guitar tech at my local shop suggested loading all my songs in a sequence making one "long" song. Each song would have dead space to allow me time to "stop" the playback. Next song can be cued up using "locate" marks on each song. Has anyone experienced this? Does it work well?

My other option was to purchase a V880 Rythym section, program drums, bass and rythym and similarly, play that back as my backing tracks. Money IS an object and when I discussed it with my tech, he was leaning more towards playing back towards my digital recorder.

Thoughts/comments/flames away

Dad of four (now five)! Thanks :confused:

Mix your backing tracks down to CD and just play it through a mixer (via tape ins) with your live performance, start and stop each track as you are ready.

I'd practice it before going live, to make sure your mixdown has proper levels, etc. once you start turning up the volume it might get wierd and you might want to adjsut something here or there, re mix and try again.

daav said:
Mix your backing tracks down to CD and just play it through a mixer (via tape ins) with your live performance, start and stop each track as you are ready.

I'd practice it before going live, to make sure your mixdown has proper levels, etc. once you start turning up the volume it might get wierd and you might want to adjsut something here or there, re mix and try again.

Right on. I would practice @ the venue before hand. So if it didn't work you could have time to come down with the flu.

gcapel said:
Right on. I would practice @ the venue before hand. So if it didn't work you could have time to come down with the flu.

Appreciate the input. That was my initial thought (mix down and copy to CD), but my tech thought by leaving it "in" the digital recorder, I could (of if someone was playing "sound man", raise and lower bass, drums, rythym accordingly.

Again, thanks for the help.

BTW, does anyone make a CD player with a foot operated start stop advance (or am I looking for too much)?

There are Lots of bands that Have there Backing Tracks on CD and just Play allong with the CD though the sound System...

When my old band played with "Ween" they had all there Drum and Bass tracks on CD and they just played allong with those tracks.....

cheers

Back