Using music in a podcast legal?

Madmax1949

If we are pre recording a podcast and not streaming then uploading to facebook or soundcloud. Is it okay to play copyrighted songs? We are not making a profit in anyway. I know some many bands cover music all the time and upload them they just don't sell the song to make a profit. Has anyone dealt with this before? Please let me know.

Whether you make a profit or not is irrelevant, if you use someone else's material, you should pay them for it. It's nice that you are concerned enough to ask which is more than most anyone else would do.

The reality is, most likely no one is going to care, or report, or come after you if you use copyrighted material. If your podcast makes a noise and lots of people hear it, then you should probably follow through and pay up.

If we are pre recording a podcast and not streaming then uploading to facebook or soundcloud. Is it okay to play copyrighted songs? We are not making a profit in anyway. I know some many bands cover music all the time and upload them they just don't sell the song to make a profit. Has anyone dealt with this before? Please let me know.
No, it is not legal, it is copyright infringement. Whether or not for profit is completely irrelevant.

PTravel, Esq.
I don't just play an intellectual property lawyer on the Internet, I actually am one.

Whether you make a profit or not is irrelevant, if you use someone else's material, you should pay them for it. It's nice that you are concerned enough to ask which is more than most anyone else would do.

The reality is, most likely no one is going to care, or report, or come after you if you use copyrighted material. If your podcast makes a noise and lots of people hear it, then you should probably follow through and pay up.

Unless you get permission from the owner. If it is non-profit, you can often get permission without payment.

Back