USB software transfer?

Don't know about now. Pretty sure way back when I first looked at DAWs that it did along with a number of other programs.
I read the problems people complained about and ruled out anything with a dongle.

Fortunately there are PLENTY of good DAWs and other programs that are dongle free.

That's a pretty broad handed way to look at things.
So like... if one DAW was getting a lot of complaints...would you rule out all DAWs?

The early iLok version had some issues... when activating a new plugin/app, you HAD TO connect to their servers...and *some* people who used their DAWs online, had some issues with stuff getting deactivated, etc.
They fixed that a long time ago (otherwise I wouldn't have an iLok)...once you activate you plugs on an iLok, and then use it on an offline DAW, you had no problems, even back that. Dongles that don't need an internet connection...never had that problem.
I use any old internet laptop to get any required online activations...then the dongles go into my offline DAW, and never once any problems with them, for at least the last 8 years now.

I find that with the dongles, it's more liberating, because I don't need to be online to keep my plugs activated. Additionally, I can take my DAW software and install on other computers, and just move the dongle, and they will run. Same for my plugs. Those are the benefits...and there really aren't any downsides, unless you prefer to run your DAW online and activate that way...which means it's has to "phone home" from time to time, and the vendors have a certain level of access to your computer (nothing sinister).

They often phone home at the worst times to screw up a recording.
They don't work at all without an internet connection which you should have turned off for security when you use your pc for audio and have stopped all the troublesome security software you need when on line.

All they really do is provide a hardware handshake that some embedded portion of software looks for before it continues to run. Depending on how its implemented, the software could look once (upon program start) and then leave the program unencumbered, or it can continually monitor for compliant hardware, which would then continually steal CPU time, which for an audio recording program can be a bad thing. Also, they are subject to being damaged.

I agree with you, tho. I've had issues with both serial and USB dongles over the years (both cases were color management software). Maybe they've improved reliability in recent years, but I think they are a lousy way to keep legitimate users "honest". The pirates are never going to buy anyway. They'll use a cracked version they downloaded off some website, even if it doesn't work right.

All they really do is provide a hardware handshake that some embedded portion of software looks for before it continues to run. Depending on how its implemented, the software could look once (upon program start) and then leave the program unencumbered, or it can continually monitor for compliant hardware, which would then continually steal CPU time, which for an audio recording program can be a bad thing. Also, they are subject to being damaged.

I agree with you, tho. I've had issues with both serial and USB dongles over the years (both cases were color management software). Maybe they've improved reliability in recent years, but I think they are a lousy way to keep legitimate users "honest". The pirates are never going to buy anyway. They'll use a cracked version they downloaded off some website, even if it doesn't work right.

Cubase hasn't had a cracked version since Cubase 5. Guess why? Dongle. It works.

That was 10 years ago...

Back