USB software transfer?

Zinnydin

Hey all, I'm (clearly) new here so apologies if I get some super vague formatting stuff wrong but I'm looking to transfer a recording software (Cubase 7) to another computer and was wondering if this is possible by using a USB? For instance, taking everything installed on a previous P.C, transferring it onto a USB and then putting that USB into my new computer to use it. Thanks!

For sure you can move it via USB and reinstall it.
You should be able to transfer any files you had created if you put them in the same folders on the new PC.

It might be possible to move the installed version but I think that would be more likely impossible.
The problem is getting the opsys to know it is installed.

Why not just DL a new copy and install it ?

I have a friend who wants to record and i'm no longer using it so I figured I could just let them get the software through me rather than them having to buy it

I did not think you could move an installed program from a PC and run it on another? If that were possible why would crackers go to all that trouble?

How did you get Cubase in the first place Zinn'? If you have a disc your friend should be able to install from that and then you give them the dongle. If it came from a download, find the download and stick that on a thumb drive or it might be better to burn a CD?

Note, if you cannot do this and buying Cubase is the only option, don't. Unless mate is well versed with Cubase and loves it, buy Reaper.

Dave.

I got Cubase a while ago as it came with my Scarlet 212 usb audio interface :) i'd assume crackers (love that term btw haha) do what they do cos they can't go handing out USB's to ppl, they do it to get people to come to their websites for ad money. Could be wrong though.

Let's keep the racism to a minimum, chaps! :D

Do you know the exact version of cubase that you have, Zinnydin?
If it came with your interface I guess it's going to be a light version that doesn't require a dongle.

If you still have the disc you can probably just hand that to your friend and job done but hopefully someone can speak from experience on that.

Let's keep the racism to a minimum, chaps! :D

Do you know the exact version of cubase that you have, Zinnydin?
If it came with your interface I guess it's going to be a light version that doesn't require a dongle.

If you still have the disc you can probably just hand that to your friend and job done but hopefully someone can speak from experience on that.

I bought a S/H tASY 144 from cash gens and it came with an sealed Cubase CD. I installed it no problem on two desktops in our "stoodio" (tiny bedroom) and later this i3 laptop. Only when I tried a fourth go on a computer I cobbled together for my living room did Stenberg cough and give me hassle. I persevered however and eventually got a fourth go!
But, we, son and I never got on with it, much preferred Samplitude and son only used Cubase for the very low latency it gave him for piano work from a MIDI kbd driving a 2496 card.

Of course, if anyone really likes Cubase best to buy a version with a dongle*. Then you can put it on as many machines as you like since you can only run the one with the dongle in it.

*Small USB device that unlocks software. I did not know that either 12 years ago! A mate gave me a crack of Cubase (before all the above and I was on 98SE then!) It would run and then say "I do not have a dongle"! Son and I were totally banjaxed and never did get it working.

Dave.

An annoying device you stick in a USB port so sellers can keep you from using your software easily.

They often phone home at the worst times to screw up a recording.
They don't work at all without an internet connection which you should have turned off for security when you use your pc for audio and have stopped all the troublesome security software you need when on line.

NEVER buy any program that has a dongle or requires a generic type dongle to authorise your use.

You can find better, often cheaper, programs to use that will be easier and have fewer problems than one with a dongle.

I did not think you HAD to be online all the time with a dongle? I have only ever had one on Cbase Essential 6 and did not use it that much anyway as I said but it was in intermittant use for a couple of years and never gave us any bother.

I did fire up E6 a few month ago and was told the dongle prog' needed updating. Did that and after a re boot all was tickerty.

Cubase is probably the most common "pro" DAW after PTools and I cannot see many professionals buying something that needs their stonking, Deep Thought but delicate computers in the web ALL the time?

Dave.

Cubase is probably the most common "pro" DAW after PTools and I cannot see many professionals buying something that needs their stonking, Deep Thought but delicate computers in the web ALL the time?

You're right. Protools dongle (ilok) doesn't "phone" anyone.
No internet required, beyond the initial set up.

To be honest, I don't think cubase dongles require internet either. @jimmy69 ?

The only dongles I ever heard of throwing a hissy-fit mid session were emulated. ;)

I have no idea what you're talking about...there's nothing "annoying" about using dongles.
My DAW computer has three dongles attached...one for my DAW software...my iLok, which covers a bunch of plugin vendors...and another dongle just for my Waves and Plugin Alliance stuff.

I completely forget they are there...none have given me any trouble...all my plugs always work...none of them ever need to "phone home", my DAW is always off line...and I like them better for authentication *because* they don't require a constant internet connection back to some server, which is the new method many apps use these days. Some people like working online because the don't need serial numbers and dongles...I prefer using the dongles so I can keep my DAW and other audio apps offline. :)

You're right. Protools dongle (ilok) doesn't "phone" anyone.
No internet required, beyond the initial set up.

To be honest, I don't think cubase dongles require internet either. @jimmy69 ?

The only dongles I ever heard of throwing a hissy-fit mid session were emulated. ;)

No issues or need for internet with Cubase dongle, Ilok, or Waves USB authorization. Only need internet PC to get them setup.

There is absolutely no fuss about it in the slightest sense. None of the companies calls me or sends me emails about them.

It is just good security for the product. If that were not there, we may have to much pay more for them. I don't want to do that to support crackers addiction...

Sorry for the racial comment Steeno. lol

An annoying device you stick in a USB port so sellers can keep you from using your software easily.

They often phone home at the worst times to screw up a recording.
They don't work at all without an internet connection which you should have turned off for security when you use your pc for audio and have stopped all the troublesome security software you need when on line.

NEVER buy any program that has a dongle or requires a generic type dongle to authorise your use.

You can find better, often cheaper, programs to use that will be easier and have fewer problems than one with a dongle.

Umm... Nope. All wrong. Well, if you are remote recording with a laptop, then the Cubase dongle can be a hassle. But they make flexible USB cables for that. If you are mixing on a laptop, then you have other issues that would tell me you are not working professionally. So.. Whatever.

No problem here either. When we were using Cubase I bought a 5 way USB 2.0 PCI card, The fifth port was inside the PC and so the dongle totally protected.

I also have two USB 2.0 switches. These allow a USB device, a printer say to be run from either PC and it also works with dongles! Ooo! Must see if there is a USB 3.0 version now.

Dave.

I have a Nuendo dongle and an iLoc dongle and maybe one more. My audio PC hasn't been online since I finished setting it up in 2013. No problems at all.

This string of first hand experiences is making me doubt the thing about PT only selling because some clever marketing whiz put "Pro" in the name.
Thanks, fellas.

This string of first hand experiences is making me doubt the thing about PT only selling because some clever marketing whiz put "Pro" in the name.
Thanks, fellas.

Yeah...

I don't think it was just a marketing "gimmick"...it was certainly one of the first DAW programs when it debuted under the Pro Tools name back in the early '90s...and it evolved from a couple of other programs...Sound Designer and then Sound Tools, before it became Pro Tools.
So yeah, maybe they figured the name change would imply it was a tool for pros, but TBH, at that time, it really was. I mean...there weren't yet too many home rec guys running DAW systems in the early '90s... because they were so damn expensive.
In '91 Pro Tools cost about $6k...and you got a whopping 4 tracks!!! :D

If you just consider the name "Pro Tools" today, with so many other DAW apps out there...it might seem like a marketing "gimmick"...but it wasn't back when PT first came out.

Yeah...

I don't think it was just a marketing "gimmick"...it was certainly one of the first DAW programs when it debuted under the Pro Tools name back in the early '90s...and it evolved from a couple of other programs...Sound Designer and then Sound Tools, before it became Pro Tools.
So yeah, maybe they figured the name change would imply it was a tool for pros, but TBH, at that time, it really was. I mean...there weren't yet too many home rec guys running DAW systems in the early '90s... because they were so damn expensive.
In '91 Pro Tools cost about $6k...and you got a whopping 4 tracks!!! :D

If you just consider the name "Pro Tools" today, with so many other DAW apps out there...it might seem like a marketing "gimmick"...but it wasn't back when PT first came out.

Heh, I know. The other guy doesn't, though.

My sense of humour isn't going far today. :(

Back