Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: USB software transfer?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I have no idea what you're talking about...there's nothing "annoying" about using dongles.
    My DAW computer has three dongles attached...one for my DAW software...my iLok, which covers a bunch of plugin vendors...and another dongle just for my Waves and Plugin Alliance stuff.

I completely forget they are there...none have given me any trouble...all my plugs always work...none of them ever need to "phone home", my DAW is always off line...and I like them better for authentication *because* they don't require a constant internet connection back to some server, which is the new method many apps use these days. Some people like working online because the don't need serial numbers and dongles...I prefer using the dongles so I can keep my DAW and other audio apps offline.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    You're right. Protools dongle (ilok) doesn't "phone" anyone.
    No internet required, beyond the initial set up.

To be honest, I don't think cubase dongles require internet either. @jimmy69 ?

The only dongles I ever heard of throwing a hissy-fit mid session were emulated.
    No issues or need for internet with Cubase dongle, Ilok, or Waves USB authorization. Only need internet PC to get them setup.

There is absolutely no fuss about it in the slightest sense. None of the companies calls me or sends me emails about them.

It is just good security for the product. If that were not there, we may have to much pay more for them. I don't want to do that to support crackers addiction...

Sorry for the racial comment Steeno. lol
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    An annoying device you stick in a USB port so sellers can keep you from using your software easily.

They often phone home at the worst times to screw up a recording.
    They don't work at all without an internet connection which you should have turned off for security when you use your pc for audio and have stopped all the troublesome security software you need when on line.

NEVER buy any program that has a dongle or requires a generic type dongle to authorise your use.

You can find better, often cheaper, programs to use that will be easier and have fewer problems than one with a dongle.
    Umm... Nope. All wrong. Well, if you are remote recording with a laptop, then the Cubase dongle can be a hassle. But they make flexible USB cables for that. If you are mixing on a laptop, then you have other issues that would tell me you are not working professionally. So.. Whatever.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    No problem here either. When we were using Cubase I bought a 5 way USB 2.0 PCI card, The fifth port was inside the PC and so the dongle totally protected.

I also have two USB 2.0 switches. These allow a USB device, a printer say to be run from either PC and it also works with dongles! Ooo! Must see if there is a USB 3.0 version now.

Dave.

Thanks
    I have a Nuendo dongle and an iLoc dongle and maybe one more. My audio PC hasn't been online since I finished setting it up in 2013. No problems at all.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 906 Posts
    This string of first hand experiences is making me doubt the thing about PT only selling because some clever marketing whiz put "Pro" in the name.
    Thanks, fellas.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    This string of first hand experiences is making me doubt the thing about PT only selling because some clever marketing whiz put "Pro" in the name.
    Thanks, fellas.
    Wait, ProTools uses a dongle now?

Why do I smell glue? Hmm...

Thanks
    Thanks, fellas.
    Yeah...

I don't think it was just a marketing "gimmick"...it was certainly one of the first DAW programs when it debuted under the Pro Tools name back in the early '90s...and it evolved from a couple of other programs...Sound Designer and then Sound Tools, before it became Pro Tools.
    So yeah, maybe they figured the name change would imply it was a tool for pros, but TBH, at that time, it really was. I mean...there weren't yet too many home rec guys running DAW systems in the early '90s... because they were so damn expensive.
    In '91 Pro Tools cost about $6k...and you got a whopping 4 tracks!!!

If you just consider the name "Pro Tools" today, with so many other DAW apps out there...it might seem like a marketing "gimmick"...but it wasn't back when PT first came out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Yeah...

I don't think it was just a marketing "gimmick"...it was certainly one of the first DAW programs when it debuted under the Pro Tools name back in the early '90s...and it evolved from a couple of other programs...Sound Designer and then Sound Tools, before it became Pro Tools.
    So yeah, maybe they figured the name change would imply it was a tool for pros, but TBH, at that time, it really was. I mean...there weren't yet too many home rec guys running DAW systems in the early '90s... because they were so damn expensive.
    In '91 Pro Tools cost about $6k...and you got a whopping 4 tracks!!!

If you just consider the name "Pro Tools" today, with so many other DAW apps out there...it might seem like a marketing "gimmick"...but it wasn't back when PT first came out.
    Heh, I know. The other guy doesn't, though.

My sense of humour isn't going far today.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    Wait, ProTools uses a dongle now?

Why do I smell glue? Hmm...

Yeah - Ilok since v9, I think?
    Not sure if they still use it for current versions. I'm staying on V12 for a good while.

Thread Information