USB Mixer Mono Input Problem

stevey

Hey, I recently purchased a Behringer Xenyx Q802 USB Mixer. Here is a link:

Behringer: XENYX Q802USB

I bought this recently for teaching and recording purposes. It seems decent enough for what I want out of it, but I am having a problem.

Everything is working fine except for the two mono channels. When recording vocals through either of these inputs with a SM58, the sound is terrible. The best way I can think of describing it is as a gurgling sound. Figuring it might be the microphone, or the XLR lead I was plugging it in with, I tested my electronic drum kit through these two inputs, but yet again, the sound is awful. I am having absolutely no trouble with the stereo inputs, the sound is great out of them. But these two mono inputs are effectively unusable.

I am completely new to stuff like this, so I do wonder if I am missing something obvious here. Or is it possible that this unit is faulty? Any help with this issue would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Stevey and welcome.
So it is the two microphone inputs that are crook? The common factor is the 48V phantom power, as you have a 58 dynamic you don't need it, is it turned off?

But, as ever, post a short clip.

Dave.

I think Arcaxis is on the right track...that sound as described could be some form of compression artefact, particularly as it's cheap and nasty compression. Definitely turn both compression knobs all the way down.

Yes, the phantom power is another common feature but unless your cables are wired incorrectly it shouldn't matter if it's accidentally left on. It's also unlikely to cause a "gurgling" sound.

But, as always, posting a sample will help.

"Yes, the phantom power is another common feature but unless your cables are wired incorrectly it shouldn't matter if it's accidentally left on. It's also unlikely to cause a "gurgling" sound."

Yes, bit of straw clutching there Bobbs but my theory is that the converter producing 48V might faulty and the signal being modulated in some way.

In any case it seems the OP has done a line in recording and there should be no essential difference in the sound quality from the stereo line ins. My bet is a faulty unit.

Dave.

Reading up on the unit, looks like the "one knob compression" could be the most likely problem. Probably the compression is cranked to get the input level up rather than turning up the volume or gain.

Hey, thanks for all the responses everybody.

Bizarrely, this problem seems to have sorted itself out without me doing anything. I came back to the mixer ready to try these suggestions but everything sounded fine. I have even attempted to get the 'gurgling' sound back by fiddling with the compression and 48v button, but it seems to have disappeared completely.

I'd rather have known what was causing it, but if it's gone I suppose there is nothing to worry about. Providing it doesn't come back! I will be sure to let you know if it does. Thanks for the swift responses, much appreciated!

There is one more thing I could use some advice on. Music software. I plan to use this mixer for some basic recording, and the manual that came with the mixer recommended I download Audacity. Which I have done so. The program records fine, but it does seem a bit clunky. A friend of mine said I could try his copy of Studio One, which does seem a lot more user friendly, but unfortunately it was nigh on impossible to get the program to actually detect my mixer.

I don't suppose anybody could recommend some other software I could try which might accommodate this?

" A friend of mine said I could try his copy of Studio One, which does seem a lot more user friendly, but unfortunately it was nigh on impossible to get the program to actually detect my mixer. "

Bugger Studio One! Ten minutes ago I ran the demo and tried to connect my Alesis iO2. It would not find it but when I selected Windows Sound from the list (included my 2496 card, the Focusrite 8i6, not connected and the NI KA6 not connected) It killed my radio sound on the 2496 and it has taken me all this time, including a Restore to get the PCI card flying again.
Maybe S1 will see a generic USB audio device (s'what the mixer is) using ASIO4ALL but I ain't gonna bother no more!

Reaper is the favourite, goto audio software but do try Magix Samplitude ProX Silver. Free and pretty easy to get going with. Has a nice MP3 encoder in it.

I shall try Sam in a mo' with the iO2.

Dave.

There you go, attached is a grab of Sam proX silver getting mic signals from the iO2 (AKG P150 and SM57) . The modulation you can see in the mixer pane is pickup of the Brahms piece playing on radio3.

The AI was found quite easily and running MME drivers I can have both USB audio and the PCI card recording and/or playing at the same time (I could even connect and select further USB interfaces and have done in the past) .

Of course, when son was doing overdubs and MIDI stuff we used the ASIO drivers.

A well underestimated and all too frequently overlooked software is Sam Silver IMHO!

Dave.

Attachments

• iO2 and Sam pxs .png
    iO2 and Sam pxs .png
    182.4 KB · Views: 53
Thank you very much for putting me on to Samplitude, this is a great program. Works like a charm.

Everything is in working order now, thank you everybody for your help!

Thank you very much for putting me on to Samplitude, this is a great program. Works like a charm.

Everything is in working order now, thank you everybody for your help!

You are most welcome. If my son ever came back from France to stay to do his music I would buy Pro X.
When you have got a bit slicker with hard and software it might be worth you downloading the 30 day trial of the Big One? You say you are a teacher? Most software companies give huge discounts to educational establishments.

Now then! You are sorted? So now the honeymoon is over! You must post some work for others here to maul!

Dave.

Thanks for the heads up, i'll keep that in mind.

Unfortunately I have ran into some other problems which I could use some help with.

Basically, I want to record my electric kit over backing tracks. I would like to be able to control the backing track volume seperately, and perhaps even have it as an entirely seperate track. I have tried several methods to do this, but have run into problems.

- I have tried to overdub my electric kit over a backing track imported into Samplitude, however it does not seem possible to hear both the track I'm recording and the track i'm dubbing over in the mixer. I have set playback to send to my mixer in the program, and I have got as far as been able to hear both my kit and the backing track at the same time, but so far I have not been able to record without losing the audio of one.

- I have tried plugging the ipod into the mixer directly to better control the mix and simply record everything as one track, but the ipod tracks sound odd, like they aren't mixed right, which makes it difficult for me to play over them. I have tried this via RCA inputs, the stereo inputs, and even the mono inputs. The ipod audio doesn't sound right through any of them.

The best method I have found for recording so far is to plug my ipod directly into the electric kit, and record the input of the electric kit as a single track. This would be fine, but I would ideally like more control.

The only way I have found of doing what I want is to record the electric kit via midi, which isn't exactly ideal for me. I like the sounds that came with my kit.

I know some people who manage to do it by recording the drums on their own and syncing up a track with it later on...but of course I don't know how to do that either. I'd need to hear the backing track playing whilst recording.

Basically, I'd like to be able to keep the backing track seperate from the drum track, but thus far have found no way of doing it. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks once again.

Can Samplitude set up a monitor mix internally? (I've never experimented with it but maybe ecc83 can advise.)

If so, set up Samplitude so it's letting you hear both your mic(s) and the playback of backing tracks then set the USB/2 Track button to feed the return from your computer to your headphones. Note that latency might be an issue working this way.

If Samplitude can't do you a monitor mix or if the latency is too long, I can't think of a way to do this in your mixer--the routing facilities are pretty badly thought out for a home studio.

Pheeee-uew!

Don't generally get into al, this! Son can set things up in a flash but not being a muso I have no need!

Anyhoosydoosies, I think I can help. First you need to setup 8 "mono" tracks from the "start new project" pane.
Then click on tracks 8, 7, 6, 5 and delete them (or you have a problem).
Take you clip as a .wav (44.1kHz, same bits for everything) and drag it into (say) track 2 (you WILL be asked things. Do them!) .

Top bar find "View" open mixer. If you have no master fader click "Master". Near that is "Setup" This gives you the box attached. Click at the top to get options and select Master.

Now, if you are lucky, track 2 will playback thru the master monitoring path....The while you SHOULD be able to record to track 1.

The permutations are vast and you will probably struggle for a long time to sort this. Took me a good 1/2 hour. My system is not really set up for this and I am loathe to tear it down to try! (in any event I have a car to fix and a poorly lady to look after) .

Tip! Put the cursor arrow anywhere in the track pane and press y on the keyboard. A vast setup selection will appear allowing you to change many parameters.

My son has built up songs of many tracks including both DI'ed guitar and bass parts, MIDI and sampled sounds. All done in Samplitude (se8) so it really can do pretty much anything you want but, like all DAW software, it won't be easy to start with.

Dave.

Attachments

• mixer setup.png
    mixer setup.png
    108.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Sam monitoring 1 .png
    Sam monitoring 1 .png
    156.1 KB · Views: 25
In case you wondered what the clip was in Sam? Attached.

I am reliably informed that the music was recorded on the built in mic on a mac lappy!

Dave.

Attachments

• Rabbi's Dance bass cut01eqd and comped.mp3
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Thanks for the replies everyone! I will be trying your suggestions in the coming days and if doesn't go as planned I will either make do with having the music and drums as one track (and srtting volumes as good as I can beforehand) or just buy a recording interface

Back