Upgrading to new PC..how to reuse some existing gear?

Guitarsam

Hi,

Finally putting an old XP PC to rest which has an M-Audio 2496 audio card. This is the current equipment chain.

Two mics -> RNP preamp -> Behringer UB502 mixer with RCA jacks -> Maudio 2496 card inside the PC

Have been really happy with the old RNP preamp unit and would like to continue using this. For the new PC, is it possible to continue using the RNP preamp somehow by connecting it to a new mixer which has a USB connection to the new PC? Does it make better sense to replace the RNP altogether and go with the newer USB audio interface units such as ones from Focusrite or Presonus, that can handle the same two mics or instrument line-in (guitar) inputs? Which one of these is possible or preferable these days?

For new PC (8700k cpu, 32gb ram, 1tb ssd):

1. Two mics -> RNP preamp - new mixer with USB port -> usb input in new PC
2. Two mics -> new audio interface unit -> usb input in new PC

Have been using Adobe Audition software and will continue to use the updated version of this same software. Recordings are vocals and guitars, in stereo. Just exploring this as id hate to have to shelve a perfectly good RNP unit.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Depends on your budget, of course. If you like the preamps, then I'd at least price some interfaces that have additional line inputs and not be limited to using the combo jacks. That way you'd expand the capability of the interface by 2 more mics, in case you ever needed them, i.e., leaving the combo jacks open for mics as well as instrument/line inputs.

My opinion is that in the lower end/consumer stuff (which is what I have), there's not a lot of differences. Not saying they're all the same, because they're not, and some minor "feature" of one might make you happy or regret its purchase, but in general, I'd look at a few and ask around about specific models that you can afford, if that's the route you go.

Get a dedicated audio interface with line inputs (and a couple of mic preamps). USB mixers, until you get to the higher priced ones, will be running your line-in signal through their less-than-great circuits, and the A-D converters may not be the best (possible they are only 16 bit, too, and may only output a 'stereo - L + R - signal via USB.

No matter what you do there WILL be a way to continue to use the RNP. Have you already bought the USB mixer and what is it? (make, mod)

I DO hope it is not one of the first generatio 16 bit mixers as they are a significant step DOWN on the 2496* (had a few). As mentioned, your best solution is to go for an interface with two mic inputs and two extra dedicated balanced line inputs. Plenty about but I can seriously recommend the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Mine is 6dB better for noise (no 50Hz hum spike) and even lower latency than my 2496. It also has the MIDI ports and S/PDIF connections found on the 2496. Otherwise I think the Focusrite 6i6 is comparable?

*If the new PC has at least one PCI slot it will be worth trying the 2496 in it. I am not sure if there are Win10 drivers for it but I did get one to work on ten with W7 drivers but that was at the start of the W10 "freebie", Ms might have borked that function by now!

Dave.

Hi, Everyone,

Thank you for all your replies!

Ecc83,

I have not bought any USB mixer yet and I don't know if I need one now, and have looked up the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 unit you've recommended. To clarify, with such a unit, I won't have to use my existing RNP preamp unless I want/need to, is this correct? Also, great to hear that your recommended unit has even lower latency than the 2496, which has served me well all these years.

Basically, if I understand correctly, this is how things will link up then:

->guitar/mics ->Native Instrument Komplete Audio 6-> USB port in PC->Adobe Audition software

What I need is to do multritrack recording, one track at a time, with ability to record and monitor in real-time on top of recorded tracks, obviously without lags or delays.
Thank you again for clarifying my understanding.

No matter what you do there WILL be a way to continue to use the RNP. Have you already bought the USB mixer and what is it? (make, mod)

I DO hope it is not one of the first generatio 16 bit mixers as they are a significant step DOWN on the 2496* (had a few). As mentioned, your best solution is to go for an interface with two mic inputs and two extra dedicated balanced line inputs. Plenty about but I can seriously recommend the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Mine is 6dB better for noise (no 50Hz hum spike) and even lower latency than my 2496. It also has the MIDI ports and S/PDIF connections found on the 2496. Otherwise I think the Focusrite 6i6 is comparable?

*If the new PC has at least one PCI slot it will be worth trying the 2496 in it. I am not sure if there are Win10 drivers for it but I did get one to work on ten with W7 drivers but that was at the start of the W10 "freebie", Ms might have borked that function by now!

Dave.

"->guitar/mics ->Native Instrument Komplete Audio 6-> USB port in PC->Adobe Audition software"

Yes ^ You can plug the RNP into the two balanced TRS jacks at the back. That gives you potentially 4 analogue tracks. If you have a digital source, synth say, 6 tracks. The mic pre amps on the KA6 are very quiet but don't have a lot of gain, about 55dB so you might find the RNP a better bet for dynamics on quiet sources. Being a "bus powered" AI the unit does not have masses of phantom current available but my AKG P150s work fine as does my Sontronics LDC. You of course have the RNP....

Latency: Yes, the 2496 was PDQ but could only be set for 64 samples minimum. The NI will run at 32 samples but I wouldn't advise it. Ok if you have a super fast, well sorted PC but chancey otherwise. I think 128-256 will serve you admirably.

I have used AA 1.5 for years (story about that) and the KA6 runs it no sweat but then it runs any DAW I download to eff about with!

Dave.

I'd get something like an audient interfeace and ditch the preamp and mixer, I used to have an m-audio 192 for many years, and I didn't realise how bad it was until getting an audient iD22, I've not had any latency or quality issues since getting it, the AD/DA converters and preamps are superb for the price, you can also keep using external pres as it has inserts and sends for external hardware, with NO latency issues at all.

I'd get something like an audient interfeace and ditch the preamp and mixer, I used to have an m-audio 192 for many years, and I didn't realise how bad it was until getting an audient iD22, I've not had any latency or quality issues since getting it, the AD/DA converters and preamps are superb for the price, you can also keep using external pres as it has inserts and sends for external hardware, with NO latency issues at all.

Are you talking about the M-Audio AP192 PCI interface? If so you must have been doing something wrong with it. It is a better version of the Delta 2496 and I have had 3 of those and all work very well and give very low latency (it has only been recently that USB and before that Fussywire AIs could get close to PCI interfaces for latency)

There is Sound on Sound review of the AP 192 and, iirc, it got a very good report. I take nothing away from Audient devices, excellent from all I hear but that M-A PCI kit was pretty damned good too!
M-Audio Audiophile 192 |

Dave.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the M-Audio AP192 PCI interface? If so you must have been doing something wrong with it. It is a better version of the Delta 2496 and I have had 3 of those and all work very well and give very low latency (it has only been recently that USB and before that Fussywire AIs could get close to PCI interfaces for latency)

There is Sound on Sound review of the AP 192 and, iirc, it got a very good report. I take nothing away from Audient devices, excellent from all I hear but that M-A PCI kit was pretty damned good too!
M-Audio Audiophile 192 |

Dave.

I wasn't doing anything wrong with it, yes it is still a good PCI interface but the audient as I said if far superior and for me way more convenient, I used the Audiophile 192 for over a decade before upgrading.

I wasn't doing anything wrong with it, yes it is still a good PCI interface but the audient as I said if far superior and for me way more convenient, I used the Audiophile 192 for over a decade before upgrading.

"FAR superior" in what definable way? Convenience I will give you since the 192 is a line level only card.

Dave.

"FAR superior" in what definable way? Convenience I will give you since the 192 is a line level only card.

Dave.

the quality of the AD/DA is the main thing, there is a noticable difference, it sounds clearer, more natural, bigger, wider e.t.c. the hallmarks of higher end converters, all of this is subjective though.

the quality of the AD/DA is the main thing, there is a noticable difference, it sounds clearer, more natural, bigger, wider e.t.c. the hallmarks of higher end converters, all of this is subjective though.

indeed.

Just read up on the iD22 and yes, a very good, very versatile AI with ADAT and controller funtions but not what I would call "high end", That accolade I reserve for the Benchmarks and Apogees of this world.

It does, by all accounts have very good pre amps but that of course is not applicable to the AP192.

Dave.

Last edited:
Back