Ummm...... It's me, honest

Underhill

Well, I am getting on fairly ancient and have used most kinds of systems. I have gone back to minidisc. Despite all the hassles (of which there are many) it sounds clear but warm. Closest to tape by far in my opinion, which may be crazy (in fact that definitely is a popular opinion held by others). So there you have it.

Well, I am getting on fairly ancient and have used most kinds of systems. I have gone back to minidisc. Despite all the hassles (of which there are many) it sounds clear but warm. Closest to tape by far in my opinion, which may be crazy (in fact that definitely is a popular opinion held by others). So there you have it.

I also like MD! Not for any sound quality (or lack thereof!) reason, TBH I cannot tell any difference twixt MD, a 2496 soundcard and my NI KA6 but that could be my aged ears! (maybe my Result6 monitors will show it up? I keep dreaming!)

No, I think it is very robust good sounding system that got shafted by the Big Boys in favour of CD*. MD is SURELY a better option in a car?

I have two recorders, a Sony and a Grundig (!) One day I shall get my "stoodio" (aka grotty small bedroom) sorted out and get down to some duping of a big stack of vinyl (don't like that much but want to preserve the music then dispose of the plastic) It will go on hard drive and backed up on MD.

Trouble is, Wife's and my health keep smashing up my free time and energy!

I have quite a stack of discs, mostly used but I think I still have some still sealed. If you ever have trouble finding discs, PM me.

I also have a Philips Digital Cassette Recorder but I am pretty sure that has developed a fault. Keeps saying "clean head". Must get down to looking at that.

*MD could record of course and I think the Music Industry barons had a hand in holding it back?

Dave.

BTW I read your reply and it recalled me I have been finding "Philips Digital Cassette Recorder" for long time but couldn't find it.

BTW I read your reply and it recalled me I have been finding "Philips Digital Cassette Recorder" for long time but couldn't find it.

They didn't last long and I think it was Philip's attempt to compete with MD as a recording medium. The machines will also play standard audio cassettes. Mine worked fine some years ago. Son used a Teac A3440 OR to build songs then bounced the tracks to the DCR (aka Digital Compact Cassette) for a virtually perfect copy. The machine used "sort of" 18bit conversion so about 12dB better dynamic range than CD but there was some compression but not as much as ATRAK in MD. Mind you, both sound pretty bloody perfect to me!

MD with its totally protected disc is much more rugged. DCC was in a dustproof sleeve but had to be taken out to load one. You can imagine them scattered about the front seat of a Chevvy (or XR3i here!)

Dave.

They didn't last long and I think it was Philip's attempt to compete with MD as a recording medium. The machines will also play standard audio cassettes. Mine worked fine some years ago. Son used a Teac A3440 OR to build songs then bounced the tracks to the DCR (aka Digital Compact Cassette) for a virtually perfect copy. The machine used "sort of" 18bit conversion so about 12dB better dynamic range than CD but there was some compression but not as much as ATRAK in MD. Mind you, both sound pretty bloody perfect to me!

MD with its totally protected disc is much more rugged. DCC was in a dustproof sleeve but had to be taken out to load one. You can imagine them scattered about the front seat of a Chevvy (or XR3i here!)

Dave.

Thanks Dave for sharing an insight :) Sounds like you've really good knowledge.

Back