UMC 204HD...Hmm?

ecc83

I have put this in the newb section because I reasoned that they might be the very people to go for this interface (don't go cheaper than the 204HD unless you REALLY have no choice. Then don't anyway!)

Let me say at once that the 204 is in many ways a remarkable device for the money. Pretty well built, not AS BSH as my NI KA6 but then little is. Mic pre amps are perhaps its biggest forte. quiet and with a little more gain than the KA6 which makes them quite usable with the usual dynamics. So, what are my reservations?

First driver. I have now set the AI up on 2 W7 PCs and a W10 laptop and in each case I have had 'issues'. I have managed to resolve them except in W10 where Samplitude Pro 4 (trial) will not run the Behringer ASIO driver though this might have something to do with Sam p4 and/or W10. I shall try again when the trial ends and I can clear out all things Samplitude.

However, this might be slightly MY fault! Virtually every USB AI I have ever had of about 8, installs by FIRST installing the software then plugging in the AI when told to. Half way through the 204 installation you are told to "unlpug and replug the interface" But no bloody warning upfront to start with the fekker plugged in! In fact the whole process resulted in one W7 desktop requesting a reboot, something that almost never happens these days. In short, a trap for the newb.

In contrast I plugged the KA6 into the same PC and although it had not been connected for well over a year I simply had to select it as the ASIO device in Samplitude and off it went, no drama, no sweat.

My testing threw up my other beef. The output is feeble. A 300Hz tone recorded at -6dB fs (Sam Silver) delivers .55V which is -2.2dBu. This means the flat out output is about +4dBu and that in turn means the tracking level outputs at -16dBu and I thnk that will be rather quiet for some monitors?

The KA6 delivers some +11dBu for 0dBfs. Of course the KA6 IS twice the 204 HD's price but also has two more inputs and S/PDIF. Both interfaces are soley USB bus powered so why is the Behringer so feeble? A bit of gain costs nothing, just a resistor ratio.

So, bottom line: I am still glad I bought the 204 and I would recommend it IF you need the basic facilities and it DOES have MIDI (nor been there yet) However, if you can find a wee bit more down the back of the sofa, do look at AIs around the £100 mark. Quite like the look of the Taacams?

Dave.

Back