turntable / vinyl questions

tempuser001

ok, I was just wondering what was the difference between my mom's old 80's turntable and a brand new 500$ Technics one, except for the i/o connections? And do any of you know good references for buying vinyls on the Web?

thanks.

tempuser001 said:
ok, I was just wondering what was the difference between my mom's old 80's turntable and a brand new 500$ Technics one.?......

There is a world of difference and there is not is not much difference (please excuse the oxymoron).

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the turntable.

If you just want to sample, then there's not a difference.

If you want to use the turntable for mixing, then that's a completely different story.....

There's no pitch control

The motor is probably much, much slower

You mom's TT might be belt driven, where as the Technics are Direct Drive.

You will encounter some problems trying to scratch on your moms old TT.

tempuser001 said:
......except for the i/o connections?....

The connections are basically the same (L/R RCA male).

tempuser001 said:
....And do any of you know good references for buying vinyls on the Web?......

There are a TON of good internet record stores.

It depends on the type of music you want and which country you want to use to buy the music.

You can perform a search on GOOGLE and EBAY.

thanks for the info - although would you mind explaining what makes my mommy's TT is not ideal for mixing compared to the Technics? As for the vinyls, I thought threre might a 'classic' I didn't want to miss...guess that answers my question.

ty.

tempuser001 said:
As for the vinyls, I thought threre might a 'classic' I didn't want to miss...guess that answers my question.

ty.
If you'ree looking for older classics, check out your local flea markets and garage sales where you can buy platters for pennies and sometimes you can get whole boxes of them for a few dollars.

NYMorningstar said:
If you'ree looking for older classics, check out your local flea markets and garage sales where you can buy platters for pennies and sometimes you can get whole boxes of them for a few dollars.

When I said a 'classic', I meant like a Hotmail or Google of the internet vinyl selling industry :) thanks for the tip.

SPINSTERWUN said:
If you just want to sample, then there's not a difference.

If you want to use the turntable for mixing, then that's a completely different story.....

would you mind explaining that? :)

Back