Trying to record at home.

Scalzitti

Hi guys, i'm new here and i have a question:
I'm using guitar rig 5, bias fx etc. I don't have a external sound interface, i use a p2 adaptor to plug in to my onboard audio interface to record my guitar.
So, the quality it's just horrible(i can play but get's annoying), i watch videos of the same preset i use on guitar rig and my tone it's just FAR AWAY from that guy tone on the video. I know that there is a difference about pickups and etc, but the sound interface is really that needed? In terms of quality? I'm just disappointed about the quality, it's sound's bad, i really want to re-create a specific tone and i cant.

And if it's the case i will soon buy a sound interface and later a shure 57 mic to record my 91' Peavey.

Hey.
I had exactly the same problem when I first started, but with guitar rig 3, so it's a long time ago.
Then I bought a zoom R16, and changed my life.

Hi guys, i'm new here and i have a question:
I'm using guitar rig 5, bias fx etc. I don't have a external sound interface, i use a p2 adaptor to plug in to my onboard audio interface to record my guitar.
So, the quality it's just horrible(i can play but get's annoying), i watch videos of the same preset i use on guitar rig and my tone it's just FAR AWAY from that guy tone on the video. I know that there is a difference about pickups and etc, but the sound interface is really that needed? In terms of quality? I'm just disappointed about the quality, it's sound's bad, i really want to re-create a specific tone and i cant.

And if it's the case i will soon buy a sound interface and later a shure 57 mic to record my 91' Peavey.

Hi and welcome. Glad we have caught you before you have wasted a lot of money, that happens A LOT in the newb section!

Yes, you really do need an interface but that is quite a challenge in itself? Not that chosing a good AI is difficult but the temptation is for the beginner to go as cheap as possible and not look too far into the future. Here are MY criteria for useful, fairly future proof interface.

Track count: You can get just one mic input ad another line/instrument input...Don't. You WILL want two mic ins at some time and in any case, most of the "one lunged" devices tend to be bottom of the heap in all other respects.

Software: Not the DAW recording stuff that is bundled with almost all AIs no, I speak of "drivers". This is the software that makes the thing work with Windows and you want ASIO drivers. If an AI takes your fancy, go to the maker's website and see if they have ASIO drivers for download, if not, pass. Good drivers are vital for smooth, reliable operation ad low latency. That said, most of the "big names" have decent drivers now.

MIDI: You may not know what MIDI is and care less but do look on Wiki and if you think you might be interested at some point, get an AI with MIDI ports. They tend to add only a few $$s to the price.

If it is only ever going to be yourself recording then a 2 in 2 out AI is fine but should there be a band possiblity an 8 way AI is not a huge fortune.

Last for now..How will you listen to your creations? Headphones are fine for a start but if you intend to build and mix tracks you will need some monitor speakers and they are AS big an investment as the AI and mic and I would advise a good bit more.

Keep in touch.

Dave.

Back