Thread: Trouble shooting help- getting a quiet output

Thanks

Trouble shooting help- getting a quiet output

Sign in to disable this ad
    Im using a clarett 2 pre and a Neuman TLM 102 in logic pro on a mac desktop.

For some reason i have to have the gain/sensitivity on my Clarett cranked almost to ten in order to get a recording at a volume thatís in the mix.

All takes, guitar but especially vocals, are coming in really quiet when i have the gain dialed to a reasonable setting.

any one out there possibly know what the issue is here? consider be a very green and impatient home recording artist.

thanks !

Thanks
    You should never max out the gain on any preamp to get input levels. You are likely to get a bunch of noise.

It is better to lower the levels of tracks you are recording to, and use the output from DAW or monitor volume when tracking. You can always increase gain later. You can't get rid of noise caused by overuse of a preamp.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vanchamberlain View Post
    Im using a clarett 2 pre and a Neuman TLM 102 in logic pro on a mac desktop.

For some reason i have to have the gain/sensitivity on my Clarett cranked almost to ten in order to get a recording at a volume that’s in the mix.

All takes, guitar but especially vocals, are coming in really quiet when i have the gain dialed to a reasonable setting.

any one out there possibly know what the issue is here? consider be a very green and impatient home recording artist.

thanks !
    As @jimmy69 states, you should not have your preamp set all the way up. This is a fairly sensitive microphone, so no reason for low record levels unless something is set wrong somewhere else, or you've got an equipment fault.

When you solo a track in Logic Pro, what is the peak level (dB) shown in the track as it plays back?

So, you've got the TLM connected with a known, good cable into channel 1 in the Clarett with Phantom Power turned on. Check? You are recording into the side of the microphone that shows the Neumann logo?

For hardware failures, my choice would be to test a different mic, a different cable, even a different interface if that's possible.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

4. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sorry for this but I have to ask. You do have the mic the right way round with the correct side for recording?

Ahh sorry Keith I didnt see that you had also covered this.

Thanks
    ,,, all good advice here,,, (even Orson, cause I have seen incorrect position of the diaphragm before lol,,, Even the cable not connected, lol)

You can check and should hear the noticeable change with and without phantom power on. Hopefully both the inputs are not damaged.

Once you go through the checks everyone mentions, you'll know why

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rocker View Post
    ,,, all good advice here,,, (even Orson, cause I have seen incorrect position of the diaphragm before lol,,, Even the cable not connected, lol)
    Hey I've done far worse.

Thread Information