Trouble with Microphone

Riky1992

Hello I have a C-1 behringer microphone and is connected to my U-PHORIA UM2 behringer via a XLR cable and a 1/4 female to male and my audio interface is connected via USB to my laptop. However i dont know why my computer doesnt recognize it i try different computer and its the same issue. My Audio interface also has 48V phamton power suply that when switched light turns red. Im not sure what im doing wrong. I have also installed the drivers from the behringer website. But not even the light in the microphone is turning on. Thank you for the help.

Hello I have a C-1 behringer microphone and is connected to my U-PHORIA UM2 behringer via a XLR cable and a 1/4 female to male and my audio interface is connected via USB to my laptop. However i dont know why my computer doesnt recognize it i try different computer and its the same issue. My Audio interface also has 48V phamton power suply that when switched light turns red. Im not sure what im doing wrong. I have also installed the drivers from the behringer website. But not even the light in the microphone is turning on. Thank you for the help.
What's the "1/4 female to male" doing in there? The XLR cable goes from the mic to the interface XLR jack. Once the mic is plugged in, and the 48v switch on (red light is ok), you should be able to get a signal (SIG light on U-Phoria) to the interface from the mic, assuming the mic works and the cable is good.

The computer not recognizing the U-Phoria is a different problem. Windows? Version? What did you check with - Audacity? Traktor? Windows Sound settings (or whatever it's called)?

Hi there, and welcome. :)

XLR cable and a 1/4 female to male

The microphone would need to be connected to the interface with an XLR male to XLR female cable.
Phantom power, which your microphone requires, is delivered over the XLR pins, and the microphone preamplifier is 'accessed' via these same pins.
If you use a 1/4" plug at the interface you don't get phantom power and you're bypassing the preamp. (line in, or instrument in).

The computer should recognise the audio interface and present all its inputs and outputs to you,
but it will never see/know any microphone, or other analog input device, by name.

If the interface isn't available to you in your OS audio settings, or your DAW audio settings, you may need to find the right driver for it.

Well the Audio interface doesnt have a XLR jack, but a 1/4 jack so that why i got a female to male adapter to connect the XLR cable to the adapter to the Audio interface.
I checked it with the windows sounds settings. When i go to sounds and recording it comes up as Line in. BEHRINGER USB WDM AUDIO, but not as microphone.

So what i need is a male to female... instead of female to male?

We tend to avoid discussing gender issues on the forums. :p

Well the Audio interface doesnt have a XLR jack, but a 1/4 jack

The input socket is a combo socket. It will accept 1/4" or XLR, but the connections made are not the same for each.
You need a regular XLR to XLR cable so your mic gets connected to the preamp, and phantom power supply.

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 17.50.52.jpg
When i go to sounds and recording it comes up as Line in. BEHRINGER USB WDM AUDIO, but not as microphone.

That's correct.
As I said, the computer should recognise the interface as a device. It won't 'know' anything beyond that.
You just select 'input one' or 'left' or whatever the first available input is called in your recording software.

Since you're seeing "BEHRINGER USB WDM AUDIO" all you need is the right cable. :)

"Since you're seeing "BEHRINGER USB WDM AUDIO"

Where does OP say that Mr S? Maybe I have missed it? Now, I say this with the GREATEST kindness Ricky but you are VERY new to all this are you not? The fact that you don't know about XLR mic cables tell me you need even more help than most new posters.

Attached is how Windows (7) shows the audio devices connected, or internal to the computer. The "KA6" refers to my Native Instruments interface and note it is marked as "Default Device". The Behringer should show as above or posibly as "USB CODEC". But that is not the end of the process, as you work through the menus you will find others settings, notably Levels. Playback should be set/left at 100% but Recording might need tweaking, down to 5% in some cases to avoid noise.

I shall have a look at the Behringer site and see if I can find out what exactly the drivers are and do. You might need to install "ASIO4all"

Dave.

Attachments

• KA6 setup.png
    KA6 setup.png
    222.6 KB · Views: 8
"Since you're seeing "BEHRINGER USB WDM AUDIO"
Where does OP say that Mr S? Maybe I have missed it?

lol, Dave. You kill me sometimes. Post #4.

But I might ask, what does the WDM driver do? Isn't that just a generic windows driver? Does Behringer rely upon ASIO4ALL to do its bidding?

lol, Dave. You kill me sometimes. Post #4.

But I might ask, what does the WDM driver do? Isn't that just a generic windows driver? Does Behringer rely upon ASIO4ALL to do its bidding?

All right! Ok! YOU'll be bloody old some day! Heh! But I keep reading good and bad about these incredibly cheap interfaces and I think I shall have to get one. Our local Cash Generator has closed down (got an 8i6 and a US144 there in the past) so I might just have to fork out for a new one.

Dave.

Playback should be set/left at 100% but Recording might need tweaking, down to 5% in some cases to avoid noise.

What's the story there? Does windows boost incoming signals or something?
Is there no way to just have the DAW speak directly to the interface?

The thing to remember here is that you have two totally separate issues - you MUST use the XLR to XLR cable. Phantom power is NOT applied to the jack connection. Then the mics will be powered. Then you can look at the routing and the software, but probably all that's wrong is the lack of power to the mics. If the windows driver is the Behringer one, and your software is pointed to that driver - all should be well. Not sure on the line in? I'd have expected an option to use the mic in - but maybe that only shows in your software - what are you using to record?

Also meant to say...AS ALWAYS. Get an AI PLAYING sounds back into headphones BEFORE you even think of waving a mic at it.

Dave.

What's the story there? Does windows boost incoming signals or something?
Is there no way to just have the DAW speak directly to the interface?

Err? Sort of! Many years ago when I bought my first UAC 202 I slated the thing off because it would only play back at some 30dB below. Behringer were their usual chocolate teapot so I did not use the box for quite a while. It was when I bought a ZED10 that A&H instructed me in the Dark Arts of Windows sound levels that I sorted things out!

"Proper" interfaces of course use ASIO drivers and they keep Ms's stricky fingers away from your AI's workings. BTW, looks like the Berry driver is ASIO4all but how that integrates with Windows I am not sure.

If OP does not get sorted soon I suppose I could "model" the setup with a 202 and ASIO4all?

Dave.

Back