transferring analogue from tascam 38 to digital

simon4

Ok so I have tried to find a similar type post in forums but can't quite find one so I thought I'd ask you good people the question(s). I'm a newbie so excuse if the question seems obvious.

I have recently purchased a Tascam 38 in pretty good condition and have been recording on it and am pleased with the results. I've mostly been tracking acoustic guitars, vocals and violin. What I'd like to do is now transfer this over to digital so that I can get more tracks, edit etc.

I currently have a Fostex VF160Ex and am wondering if i just plug the outs from the Tascam into this and record whether I'll lose a lot of quality/analogue sound. I know that the Fostex records uncompressed but only at 16-bit(does this matter?). What I'm wondering is whether I should get a different DAW which records at a higher quality (e.g. the Korg d3200 or something similar, which would also give me direct outs something the Fostex doesn't have) or would I be better to go into a studio to transfer the tracks to digital, do I need some sort of analogue to digital converters?

Ultimately I will probably aim to do tracking at home and then take the tracks into a studio to be mixed.

Any ideas or thoughts would be great

Thanks

You should be able to use the line outs on the deck to the line in on your soundcard (you'll need an adapter cable) and transfer your recordings. Just watch the level meters and never let anything "red line," clipping on digital sounds awful.

Back