Transfering 4 track tape to an external tape deck

Michaelyu5

This is really a newbie problem so I choose to post it here...hope thats ok....
I am recording my vocals and acoustic guitars on 2 tracks to work on new material...I am not putting a demo out so I dont care much about the quality as much as the ideas and they sound good (for me). The problem is, I cant play the master tape outside of the Tascam 4 track I have so I transfer it to another tape in my home stereo tape deck. When it transfers, it looses all its volume and you hear an unbelievable amount of 'hiss'. I have to turn up the volume all they way up on the new tape to hear it. I assume its crappy home stereo equipment or the cords Im using to transfer it but if anyone has any suggestions, I would be greatly appreciative. Just anything to make the finished tape volume like the master...

Thanks...

Michael

Im running my Tascam Portastudio Mark 2 into a cheap Panasonic dual cassett stereo through the inputs in the back used for a CD player. Im using one cord with Red and white 1/8 plugs running from the "line out" of the Tascam to the back of the stereo. Im using the built in EQ on the stereo and in the head phones, it sounds a little lower than the master tape in the Tascam but once I play the new tape on other players, its super low. Again, I know this isnt the recording equipment you guys are used to. I have Cubasis VST for my Mac but I dont have the space available to leave the rig set up (currently, my 'studio' doubles as my wife's "craft room"...) so, oh yeah, if you have a suggestion for me to take over the room from my wife, that would help too!
: )

Thanks...
Michael

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............... :rolleyes:

I am not sure exactly how you can record to the all-in-one Panasonic unit. :eek:

The reason being.......

The Panasonic unit isn't designed to record from the CD input (it is supposed to play from the CD input).

However, theoretically you should be able to record on it.

Have you made sure that the output master on the Tascam is set to the proper level?

I'm sure that we will be able to figure out something. ;)

Peace...

spin

I used to do this also, but the tape player I used to "mix down" to, had a L and R "line in", and volume was not a problem.

dtb said:
I used to do this also, but the tape player I used to "mix down" to, had a L and R "line in", and volume was not a problem.

Exactly, but the tape recorder that Michaelyu5 has isn't a stand-alone tape recorder.

It's an all-in-one unit.

It's very likely the boombox and/or signal chain itself.

For best results, you'll need a component-style cassette deck.;)

As Spin said, there may not be a proper internal signal path in the boombox, to achieve recording from the CD inputs to the internal tape drive.

Boomboxes are usually not the best solution, but you'll likely need one with dedicated "LINE IN" inputs. "CD In" might not be cutting it, in your case.;)

Thanks to everyone.... Spin, dtb, and Reel....I believe your right with the internal path thing....I know I need a stand alone tape deck so Ill just have to invest in one and cut the crap. I'm still learning to use the Cubasis program as well so eventually Ill be digital...
Again...thanks for all the advice.....

Michael

Back