totally new, question on ipad software

USBB

I have a Focusrite Itrack solo on the way and it can record directly to an ipad. I am going to be recording audio books. What software should I use on the ipad? and is there a free one? and then can that be uploaded to my windows pc so I can do edits on the pc using something like audacity?

Last edited:
Is there a reason you want to record on the iPad instead of the PC? There's a few audio recording apps for iOS and I'm sure you could export wav files, via Dropbox if nothing else. GarageBand is $5 and, although it may be easier now, when I did it a year or so ago I used iTunes to transfer files from the iPad.

But I would think doing punch ins and re-dos "on the fly" while you're reading would be difficult on the iPad. Much easier on the PC using Ableton Live Lite that comes with the iTrack Solo, or Reaper, or even Audacity.

Do you have a microphone?

J

Both of my laptops are very noisy, whereas the Ipad is silent. The mic I intend to purchase is an Audio Technica AT4040

My thinking was it would be easier to have the ipad in the closet with me so that I would not have to get up every time I need to do a retake and could punch in and out on the ipad. And then as you say use drop box to transfer the files to my pc.

I will be recording in an interior closet with several layers of carpet on the floor. It has an exterior insulated steel door and sound dampening material on all walls including the door.

Check out Auria (probably the best I-DAW out there) and Cubasis...

Also, read up on Audiobus.

As far as the room (your closet) goes... I'm not sure that'll work out quite as you think it will...

USBB,
I know a few VO artists who use TwistedWave for iOS ($80 I think), some with iRig, or other interfaces. However, I have never tried it. They tend to use this type of setup as a travel rig, and not for long-form audiobook narration. As you know, with the AT4040, you will need phantom power.

A solution that I have used is: my iPad to control Reaper remotely, using a virtual desktop app called RDesktop. When I have RDesktop launched, it takes over my recording computer, through my network, and puts my DAW screen on my iPAD, in my booth with me. Complete control and functionality. There are other apps out there that will create virtual desktops.
Dale

What reservations do you have about a well insulated closet?

Just my own experience recording (and especially mixing) in small spaces (and here in the UK, homes tend to be smaller at any rate)... Personally I've always had better luck in larger rooms... More area to treat but often a nicer sounding space, with the ability to move to different areas for different effect... You definitely don't want a totally 'dead' space that you can't move in...

Back