Total novice - Help with mic please.

RPJWB

Hi, I'm a total novice to this recording game so please accept my apologies if what I ask is a bit thick.

I want to start recording a blog/radio style program to .mp3 format (songs and voice overs)

I have a Numark Mixtrack Pro and VirtualDJ that i can do this through to record the .mp3 or i can just use the VDJ software on the pc direct.

I have some old mics that i use when i do discos and quizzes, which are fine for that type of thing, however for the voice recording and radio side of things they are very muffled and I have to be almost touching the mic with my mouth for the mic to hear me.

The mics i have are a Proel DM226 & a Shure PG58.

My question is... what is the best sort of microphone to use for the vocal side of things .. i.e what type of mic and what model ?

Thanks in advance.
RPJWB

Just getting started myself and bought a Shure SM57 since it seems like people's go to versatile mic. Used it to mic a guitar amp and added a pop filter to capture some vocals yesterday and I was not disappointed. If you need the mic for only vocals there are other choices. Here's the response to when I asked this question a couple days ago. There are probably hundreds of threads on vocal even-blog style recording so give search a whirl.

Back