Total newbie here...

Joroy

Well, I'm finally ready to setup a studio in my basement, and I was just wondering if I'm missing any components. I really know nothing about recording, so any advice or info is appreciated. Well, this is what I've kinda figured would be the best for a beginning home recorder like myself - I'm going to get ProTools Digi 001, a Beringer MX602A mixer (wondering if it would be worth it to get a MX1604A which comes with 4 mic preamps as opposed to 2), 2 Shure SM57 mics with Shure C50J cables, and (here's where I'm really unsure) maybe Alesis M1 Active MK2 monitors (I'm not sure if I want to spend $500 for monitors - any suggestions for other, cheaper, powered monitors?). Like I said, I don't know much at all about this, and this is what I've put together just from doing some research myself. I'm really concerned about the monitors and a mixer. I don't want to spend more than $200 on a mixer. Any suggestions besides the Beringer? I've heard that Yamaha NS 10 monitors are good, but I can't find prices for them anywhere. Thanks in advance!

Jordy (having to post under "Joroy" because someone stole my name!)

I've been using the DIGI 001 for a year with excellent results. I may suggest, however that you wait on the mixer as you can get along without one for a while until you can afford the MotorMix (http://www.cmautomation.com/) which is made specifically for the 001. Yeah, I know it's 900 plus dollars but it's worth it and you will eventually want it as it has motorized faders and mimics the Mix window in ProTools.

newbie too

I have just started my home studio for a few months and I am using the Behringer 602A... I am quite happy with it and it works pretty well for very basic recording purposes... ( recording one instrument at a time)... of course if you have the extra cash, you can always go for something bigger... the Behringer 802A looks pretty cool.

Like you, I am looking for a pair of monitors as well.... you can check out my post in the "Other equipment & review" forum. most people will advise against Alesis speakers... :) but I am interested in the Yamaha MSP5, cos they are the cheapest monitors I can get from where I come from.... why don't you check them out?

I think the Yorkville YSM-1 is a good bargain but they are passive monitors... personally I prefer active ones.

I recommend Event monitors for my choice, and I dont know why everyone hates Behringer mixers, they are not that bad, I did step up to a Macki board but the Behringer isnt a bad start................

Carter

I just started about a year ago myself, and I also have a Behringer mixer. I don't think it will kill you to get one especially if it's cheap, you can always use it as a headphone amp when you upgrade.:D

As for the Alesis M1s...although I haven't tried them I have heard people say that they are not good monitors, so I personally wouldn't spend $500 on them. My friend just got the Hafler M5 Passive monitors and they sound pretty good. Unfortunately my budget hasn't allowed for me to get a good pair of monitors yet, I'm using some pretty decent speakers from a CD player and a sub until I can save up to get good monitors that I'll be happy with for a while. But don't underestimate the power of good monitors, they play a major role in getting a good sound. What ever monitors you do decide to buy, you can always use them when you get better monitors. It's good to have several different types of monitors/speakers/boomboxes/car speakers to listen to your mix on to get a feel for how it will sound through different systems.

Macki is the way to go, but my Behringer mixer (1604A) still works fine, (14 months old) by the way I purchsased a 1402 VLZ-PRO and I love it

Carter

As Sleepy John stated, you don't need a mixer to start with if you get the 001. I would recommend that you take the money that you want to spend on the mixer and add that to your monitor budget.

If you can not HEAR what you have recorded, what good is it.

Peace
Joe

Monitors

Also remember that with the DIGI 001 you have a Monitor Out switch and volume control on the front of the unit so if you cannot afford monitor speakers at first, you can always patch out to your PA system or home stereo for room listening and use a good set of headphones to monitor the quality. At least you will have what you need to get started as you will be spending most of your time at first learning the recording process, using the software, mic placements etc.

I'd skip the mixer part for now also. Instead I'd spend that money on mics. I don't know if the 001 has phantom power, but if not you can buy a separate unit, they are cheap (under $50). Get some sort of condenser for vocals or other use. I won't recommend anything in particular, but I believe there are many people out there who believe (really strongly in fact) in the NT1, the Octavia mics at GC, and the Marshall mics. I don't know from personal experience (I use some no name Telex condenser, and that's all, have 3 of them). For monitors, I'd look into the Event's. I think the PS6's are in your price range. They are active, and from what I've heard, sound great. You could also get the highly recommended Yorkville YSM-1's ($200 or so for the pair), and a decent reference amp. Hafler makes some nice ones. If you were only planning on getting the 602 anyways, the Digi will do basically the same thing. It has 2 mic pres, same as the behringer, and they'll probably sound better then the Behringer ones. Now mind you, I'm not putting down behringer, I sue a 2004A and a 1604A, and am quite happy with them. I'm sure I'd be a whole lot happier with a Mackie, or something better, but I just don't' have the $$. When I upgrade to something like an 8-bus, I'll put out the $$ for the Mackie or something similar.

Jake

DIGI 001

FYI - The DIGI 001 does have +48v phanthom power so you're all set there. You may want to get a separate mic pre later on for the enhancement purposes.

Back