Total Newbie Help!

guitargirl7

Back in December 2011, I started my journey with the recording world. Unfortunately, horrible gear held me back from being able to explore and grow as a recording artist. Now that I have new gear, I'm ready to start making music! Being a newbie to the recording world has one of the biggest downsides that I’m facing at the moment… Learning terminology, mastering tracks, and pretty much everything else that has to do with learning about DAW. Having just purchased Pro Tools 10, I want to be able to make the most out of my recordings as possible, and at the moment, I don’t know where to start.

I've watched tutorials, searched the web, posted on many forums, and have learned some key basic information. The problem is that I am lost when it comes to the above topics (which are huge to the recording business), and haven't found something or someone who has gone into detail about them.

I know that there is no magic secret or spell, but I want to know if there is a website, book, video, ect, that can teach me more about recording to help me know what exactly I'm dealing with. Besides the obvious answer, time and experience, what has helped you learn the most about recording?

Any recommendations are welcome, and extremely appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited:
To learn, do! Really, just start recording tracks, paying attention to what you have learned and what you are doing, so that you can go back and analyze what you did (wrong or right).
There is no magic tutorial that will make a recording genius!
There is a learning curve, and as you do more, it will get easier and you can ask more exact questions.

This is a serious suggestion, not a jab.

Chapter two is particularly useful. (that was a jab :P)

I find google books is a fantastic resource, even with the limited previews.
Picking up the terminology is great, but MJB is right. Just do it. :)

haha! I actually wanted to find out if they had a "dummies" book about recording, so thank you! I'm sure the jab's will keep flowing from this topic, but I don't mind. haha :)

This is the best book on mixing: Mixing secrets for the small studio

although i wouldn't say "best" (because everyone learns in their own way/style), the mike senior book is pretty awesome. very simple, very informative, and great all rounder approach to home/project studio recording.

as steen said, google books is great even with only limited previews.

and, as many have said, "doing" is the best way to learn. for example, reading a shed load of books and articles on how to paint doesn't make you a great painter. just throw yourself in to it and as and when you hit walls reach for the books/internet for assistance :)

And here you are not starting again. :D

It's an iterative process. It doesn't so much matter where you start, just that you start. You won't know exactly what issues you need to solve until you try to record something.

Stick a microphone up against something, press record. Listen, and try to work out how to get it better. If you can't work that out, then post the results and ask for advice..

Back