Total Newbie

jayvansickle

Just got a Tascam DP-008EX today. No absolutely nothing. That may be an understatement. I will have to rely on this forum heavily. Please be patient with me in the near future. - jay

I find it weird that someone buys a machine, then the first thing they do is come here and let us know that they're going to be needing lots of help with it... doesn't augur well for the ability to record IMHO....

RTFM for a start, do a bit of research and self-directed learning, then when you have an actual problem caused by actually trying to record something, by all means drop by.

I find it weird that someone buys a machine, then the first thing they do is come here and let us know that they're going to be needing lots of help with it... doesn't augur well for the ability to record IMHO....

RTFM for a start, do a bit of research and self-directed learning, then when you have an actual problem caused by actually trying to record something, by all means drop by.

T'was ever thus Arm'!
This is the nature of the Newb but "we" must always resist the temptation to slap (even as "cough" as some sort of half assed, half serious joke that did not quite work).

For the Newb section to continue to attract people we MUST resist such condemnation,...different strokes?

Much of the pleasure of buying new gear for me is pouring over reviews, downloading specifications and handbooks so that when I finally get the kit I am ready to R&R..BUT! I am an anal, techy,speccy nutbag.

To quote the fabulous Mrs Cooper..."You don't hunt Armistice, do you?"

Dave.

Actually, I've done that.

When I first ventured into digital recording, I was moved to do so when I attended a demo of Logic and the ISIS sound card. This was mid-nineties, and I barely knew about the internet then.

I was impressed by the demo, and decided that's what I wanted to get. Which is what I did.

I did RTFM, but it didn't help much, and had great difficulty getting set up. I think I worked out midi ok, but it took ages to work out how to get it stable: optimising the PC (which isn't in the manual), working out the right drivers and so on. I think it took around two months to record audio successfully.

I wouldn't have minded knowing about HR then.

Actually, I've done that.

When I first ventured into digital recording, I was moved to do so when I attended a demo of Logic and the ISIS sound card. This was mid-nineties, and I barely knew about the internet then.

I was impressed by the demo, and decided that's what I wanted to get. Which is what I did.

I did RTFM, but it didn't help much, and had great difficulty getting set up. I think I worked out midi ok, but it took ages to work out how to get it stable: optimising the PC (which isn't in the manual), working out the right drivers and so on. I think it took around two months to record audio successfully.

I wouldn't have minded knowing about HR then.

Heh! Trouble is Gecks' many of the "experts" here who, I readily admit have VASTLY more knowledge and talent than I, have probably never had to work in the "domestic electronics" industry. Had they done so for 40 years, they would know that there is no accountin' for folks!

I used to memorize whole swathes of instruction books so that I could quote them, verbatim, to customers who swore BLIND Hitachi did not tell you how to clear the VCR's program memory!

Dave.

I did quite a bit of research before I purchased dp-008ex. I visited this sight for a couple of months and another sight as well. Read the manual before I bought the the recorder. Can't wait to get started. I plan on doing a nursing home ministry. Thank you for your kindness. I wore Youtube out as well.

Back