Toontrack EZX Recommendation

frank1985

What is their most versatile kit?

I’m looking for one that is quite dynamic in its range – i.e. that can go from soft to loud.

I am working mainly with psychedelic blues / stoner rock, which features loud and aggressive passages interspersed by more laid back Floydian grooves.

I can already see a few libs that may be suitable, but I’m unsure of any overlap and don’t want to buy more than I need. The ones I’m looking at are progressive, vintage, big rock drums, Nashville and seventies.

I am willing to bet you can get what you need with the core kits in EZD2. You have the option to dial in more or less velocity which changes the dynamics of the drum hits. Just like the drummer hitting softer or harder. You might find more diversity by adding in a MIDI pack than you would with an expansion pack. They are not as expensive as a kit expansion pack and they give you more groove options.

Actually been thinking about getting some more, myself.

I have a few EZXs, but I never bothered with the MIDI packs, as I use the editing capability of EZD-2 more. Dragging the sample loop into the edit window to adjust number of hits per drum, velocity and pitch, then using the MIDI editor in Reaper for fills and to put some variance in the loops.

Last edited:
Back