Tips for a beginner(ish).

nobodyreally

Greetings,

For many years I've been playing music for my own amusement. I was classically trained, I can play several instruments and I understand music theory and composition.

However.. I am lost. I am strictly an analog musician, ie. pick up instruments and play them. A recent visit to a friend's house revealed that I may be missing out on some things. My friend practically has a recording studio in his house. Computer screens, weird looking keyboards, and a whole host of other devices that look like they're straight out of a flying saucer.

Said friend gave me a quick tour and now I want in. As I said though, I am lost. I think I would like a midi controller, ideally with a keyboard that has full size keys and some software to run it.

Rather than just come on here and ask "tell me what to buy", could someone perhaps give me some pointers as to what brands (if any) I should avoid?

I did have a look at the stickies, but in all honesty I don't really understand many of the terms used. In a nutshell, I want a keyboard I can plug into my computer and then I want to be able to record other instruments and then mix those tracks to produce a master.

Can anyone advise?

Welcome to the forum nobodyreally........

So...in order to get started we'll need a bit more information from you............such as......do you have a budget in mind........what do you currently have for a PC.......do you think you might want to record more than...say...two things at the same time......what would you be listening to your recordings on........speakers....headphones.....what brands.....will you be using a mic????

Not trying to make things more complicated for you at all............but for you to be happy with what you buy.......it's important for us to know as much as possible about your plans.....for now....and maybe for the future. There are tons of options for you.........and to be honest.......most of the latest home recording equipment works very well and produces excellent results. It's not likely we'll tell you stay away from a certain brand.......although it's possible. It's likely we'll advise based on as much info as you can give us.

Once again....welcome!!!

Welcome to the forum nobodyreally........

So...in order to get started we'll need a bit more information from you............such as......do you have a budget in mind........what do you currently have for a PC.......do you think you might want to record more than...say...two things at the same time......what would you be listening to your recordings on........speakers....headphones.....what brands.....will you be using a mic????

Not trying to make things more complicated for you at all............but for you to be happy with what you buy.......it's important for us to know as much as possible about your plans.....for now....and maybe for the future. There are tons of options for you.........and to be honest.......most of the latest home recording equipment works very well and produces excellent results. It's not likely we'll tell you stay away from a certain brand.......although it's possible. It's likely we'll advise based on as much info as you can give us.

Once again....welcome!!!

Hi, thanks ?

Budget, not something I'd considered really. I'm not certain what things cost you see, so I've no idea. I suppose initially I can spare around £500.

Current PC is MSI gt72vr 7re (dominator pro). A laptop yes, but a more than capable laptop.

I doubt I'll be recording two things at once. I plan to record myself playing each part and then mix - on what software or how, I've no idea.

Brands etc I've no idea because I don't know what's good and what isn't. I think the very first thing I need is a midi keyboard, a decent mic for recording instruments and the right software to enable me to do all that.

OK. First off, you need to change your name to "Somebody Really."

Now, what usually happens w/ a question like yours is you get so many answers that you end up more confused than when you started. So be ready for that.

Here's my opinion.

You need to hear things without the room your using for a 'studio' effecting things in a negative way - so use headphones for monitoring things during recording and also for listening to playback during mixing. (Later on you may want to use speakers and you can deal with all the complications that arise after you've got the basics under your belt).

Now, it sounds like you want to record two different ways: 1.) Acoustic instruments, 2.) MIDI keyboard.

You need a little box called an "audio interface." This plugs into your computer via a USB connection. Your microphone plugs into the interface to get the sound into the computer; your headphones also plug into it to get the sound out.

This is just one example of a nice little package you could buy:

Focusrite Scarlett Solo Studio Recording Bundle | Sweetwater

Cost about $180 usd. Includes interface, microphone, cord, and headphones. (Disclaimer- I am not connected to any product mentioned. In fact, I don't work for anyone.).

So that will get you started in that department.

Now you need recording software - we all call this a "DAW" - Digital Audio Workstation." I am partial to "REAPER". It'll take you as far as you want to go, you can download it and use it free for sixty days, if you decide to buy it, it's just $60 usd, and it's got a great support community. You can download it here: REAPER | Purchase

Finally there's MIDI. There's a zillion MIDI keyboards out there - Mini-keys, full-sized keys, weighted or non-weighted action, two octave to 88 keys. A little one I use when I'm away from my studio at our cottage is a Samson Graphite. I think I paid about $180 usd. It has 5 octaves of full-size keys. You can plug the keyboard MIDI directly into your computer via USB cable supplied with it.

That puts you at about $420 usd. That should get you started.

I record everything with a MIDI keyboard. If you're curious about the possibilities, hit the link in my sig.

I agree about the name BI but little else.

I shall call the OP "Jack" until he gives me an alternative. If keyboards are involved it is madness NOT to get an interface that does NOT have MIDI!

Yes Jack, I know, you are gobsmaked at the moment but you most certainly do not know all that your (very capable but see*) laptop can do but that did not mean you bought the cheapest piece of ***t you found! So, reccies...

AI: The new Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 is a no brainer for reasons we can explore later if you like. $250 ish. If that is a bit strong the Tascam 2x2 still gives you two mic channels and MIDI ports. Focusrite gear is fine (I have an 8i6) but a bit overpriced IMHO.

Keyboards: If 49 keys will suffice there are many around at the $100-$150 point. 61keys will start to hurt but I am not a keys man (not a musician at all but son is) and don't keep up.

You need to hear all this and I suggest a pair of CLOSED back headphones in the $50 range. If you want a microphone you will not better a Shure SM58 but there are plenty of mics about now a third the price that sound AS good but maybe not as rugged. Should you want to record acoustic guitar you will really need a capacitor (aka condenser) mic and an "SDC" can be found for $100 or so.

If you become serious you are going to need some monitor speakers but even a 1/2 decent pair would blow your budget. Do you own a decent hi fi rig? If so that can be pressed into service (with care over levels) in any case you really need some form of speaker system to check mixes on. Car systems are often used.

But I am getting ahead of myself here Jack. First job, buy a decent AI and a kbd and maybe a cheap mic and HAVE A PLAY. So many newbs come here and handwring about this AI or the other. Whitter on about mics and DAWs (Digital Audio Workstation, the software that you record/play with) Just get stuck in with a minimal setup. There are several very good free DAWs around now but try Reaper, many here are big fans.

*Just because it is straightline fast don't mean it corners well! Google for "LatencyMon" download and run that. The software will tell you if your PC system is up to running audio. Should be! But 'it'appen.

Dave.

I just have a few recommendations for interface specs, but I think they're reasonable, based on some of the troubles I've seen. Feel free to ignore whichever you want!

• Separate level controls for monitor and headphone outputs. Even if you only use headphones to start, if you add monitors, you want them controllable separately.
  • Balanced outputs for monitors - i.e., 1/4" TRS jacks, not RCA - if it has both that's Ok, but unnecessary. Again, even if you do not have monitors in your immediate plans, worth being able to support at least prosumer grade, which will expect a balanced line input.
  • I like external power (vs. bus powered), though you do risk some possibility of introducing AC/mains noise, I'm suspicious of bus power being always at spec. Maybe if you've got a USB-C port and it's a USB-C interface you'll be Ok (but this is going to push your budget, as it's still relatively new). You'll usually find this only in interfaces with 2 or more mic preamps.
  • I like 2 mic preamps, at a minimum. You just never know what you'll want to do, but I have a hard time imagining getting by with only 1. Even if you are recording just one acoustic guitar, someday you'll want to try to do that with 2 mics...

You'll need a good mic stand and if you do any vocals a pop filter for the mic.

There are lots of good mics out there - it depends to some degree on exactly what you'll be recording with a mic as to what will be the best bang for the buck.

And, you'll need a good set of headphones to use for both recording and mixing, assuming you don't stretch your budget for monitor speakers at this point. I like Sony MDR-7506, but there are lots to choose from.

I don't have any rules about MIDI since I use it about once a year, and my (OS X) system seems to be fine with having the keyboard and interface plugged in separately, but both useable (though in my setup, they are on separate busses).

Back