Tips for a beginner..?

Bea Saburova

I am completely new to this subject. Can somebody recommend me any topics I should first learn and do research on as a beginner? Things that I should learn without having any equipment.

Hey Bea!

As a relative beginner myself, I would recommend getting equipment - even if it's spending $75 on a Tascam Portastudio.

Reason being, it's much easier to learn with some kind of recording device in hand that has the bare basics (simple EQ, panning, and volume faders).

Heck, my junk Tascam DP-01FX even has reverb.

It kinda depends on what you want to learn thoug. I have the Mixing Engineer's Handbook, and it gets me by for mixing basics. I won't post a mix on here for another month or so though - so maybe wait until that's been reviewed prior to making any purchases.

Daryl

I am completely new to this subject. Can somebody recommend me any topics I should first learn and do research on as a beginner? Things that I should learn without having any equipment.

Hi Bea and welcome...How long have you got? !

First off, What exactly do you want to do? Home recording breaks down into, at its simplest, someone that just wants to record their voice but at a better level of quality than is available on say a laptop or phone.

Next level of complexity is an instrument, very often electric guitar but if ACOUSTIC guitar the recording gear specifications get somewhat tighter.

What sort of computer do you have available? Virtually any desktop made in the last 5 years will be fine as will 95% of laptops (and even 4% of the 5% can usually be "fixed"!).

The room will ultimately need some acoustic treatment but that can be left for "further reading" for now.

So, IMHO proceed as follows. Get an interface PDQ! As an excellent starter device the Steinberg UR22 is hard to beat. Microphone? If you are a belter of a singer or/and want to record guitar amps. Shure SM57. If you are more of a gentle balladeer and/or ac guitarist, get a Small Diaphragm Capacitor (aka condenser) microphone and pay about the same or a bit less for it as the 57.

Software? The UR22 comes with Cubase but you might find Reaper easier, but be advised., NO recording software is a soft ride, as a newbie it will seem hard and counter-intuitive for quite a while. Those here will help.

Bottom line? Look at spending around $300 up front and then get stuck in!

Dave.

Hello!
My older brother is a musician (drums + vocals) and he travels everywhere as he is currently on tour and it just looks so fun. I've always loved music and when we were little we would sing and then I would edit the music on something like garage band. I would like to do this as a profession now. I honestly have no idea what any of the terms mean or where exactly do start as I would always just do it for myself. I currently live in Paris by myself so I don't have anybody go play music for me that I could experiment with. What I wanna do though (in the future) is to go tour with my brother and be their sound technician. I also absolutely love playing with multipads so I would love to get those when I can. I would love to sing as well and be able to control the music on stage as well. Kind of like a DJ (not the kind of DJ who just knows how to make a spotify/iTunes playlist... :P )

Hello!
My older brother is a musician (drums + vocals) and he travels everywhere as he is currently on tour and it just looks so fun. I've always loved music and when we were little we would sing and then I would edit the music on something like garage band. I would like to do this as a profession now. I honestly have no idea what any of the terms mean or where exactly do start as I would always just do it for myself. I currently live in Paris by myself so I don't have anybody go play music for me that I could experiment with. What I wanna do though (in the future) is to go tour with my brother and be their sound technician. I also absolutely love playing with multipads so I would love to get those when I can. I would love to sing as well and be able to control the music on stage as well. Kind of like a DJ (not the kind of DJ who just knows how to make a spotify/iTunes playlist... :P )

Small world Bea!

My son lives in France! Recently moved to Le Havre from Etreta but still commutes to play in the clubs and bars and teach (guitar). He also visits Paris quite regularly as he has a very old friend and her family there and he was player/arranger for her songs. He was in G P recently trying out classical guitars but bought one local to Le Havre from a small builder.

You sound very enthusiastic B but lacking the chops (bit like me!)? I STILL urge you to get an AI and a mic (and still the UR22) but since you need music to play around with download the trial of Reaper, that has some demo tracks in it. Then look at trials of other software, especial from MAGIX,. Their stuff is all available to try for a month and is loaded with demo tracks (which I am sure you will soon learn to extract and put to your own, nefarious purposes!) . You might prefer the "cut and shunt" working methed of MAGIX Music Maker? Do check out Ableton Live, Fruity Loops and Traktion.

Then, if you hunt the web there is shedloads of stuff to mess with...But! You DO need a decent AI and some good headphones, better monitor speakers.

I also urge you to register at the forum at Sound On Sound | Recording Techniques | Audio Technology | Music Production | Computer Music | Video Media and then trawl the wealth of information there.

And last but by NO means least. In addition to the music, the software and the fun...Learn some basic electronics, get to understand decibels and get skilled at soldering. If you are sound tech in a field at a festival you won't be able to pop to a shop for a new XLR mic cable!

Dave.

I recommend buy a book something like "Home Recording for Dummies". It will gain you months of searching and covers the basics in a nice process. You can find all of the information in this book on the net, but it is very much a mining effort.

This book (or something similar, check local library) would help you accelerate your learning and lessen your frustration.

Last edited:
Dave - I don't know if this is too personal but could we exchange emails? I was playing in fete de la musique which is a huge music festival all over France and my laptop got stolen and i can't post anything on here with my phone as the message keeps deleting itself automatically! My email is Beasaburova@gmail.com anyone else who has advice can also email me :) and thank you to those who have already spent their time giving me advice :)

Sorry I talk a lot haha but does anybody know anything about electronic drum pads? I don't think I real live drum set would fit in my studio (and I don't think my fancy neighbors would appreciate it either :D ) so I was thinking about getting a drum pad. Preferably the one that plugs into a computer 1. It's quieter and 2. I'll be able to edit the sound straight on my computer and record process would be much easier. Does anybody know anything about those though? I saw my brother use it and even though the sound is different comparing to live set I still found the sound interesting and quite easily manipulated.

What do you want to know about e-drum kits? I have a Roland TDK-20. Bunch of different drums samples that can be assigned to each pad (drum). But when I used it I preferred the custom kit where you set each parameter for each sound sample. All I use it for now is quiet practice, dont even turn it on, just use it like multiple practice pads. I just like the sound of real drums so much more.

Sorry I talk a lot haha but does anybody know anything about electronic drum pads? I don't think I real live drum set would fit in my studio (and I don't think my fancy neighbors would appreciate it either :D ) so I was thinking about getting a drum pad. Preferably the one that plugs into a computer 1. It's quieter and 2. I'll be able to edit the sound straight on my computer and record process would be much easier. Does anybody know anything about those though? I saw my brother use it and even though the sound is different comparing to live set I still found the sound interesting and quite easily manipulated.

I had a set a while back. Great thing to have and I regret selling them (needed the money at the time). They still make a little noise (loud tapping, kick pedal thumping, etc), but obviously nowhere near what a full kit makes. I just put a large throw rug under the kit and it kept it from shifting around and helped deadened the noises and vibrations.

Where do you guys get your equipment from? Is it safe to get it online somewhere? I would , for example , do some research and try some things in some music store and then order the things I found good online. Do you any good trustworthy sites for mixing boards , mics and a UR22 interface? I really don't feel comfortable buying expensive things on something like eBay or Amazon.

Sweetwater is a very good online source - they will double manufacturer warranties up to 2 years, have free shipping an dknowledgable sales engineers (who will, unfortunately, call you up on follow-ups).

Back