Think i just broke my powered speakers. Hopefully someone can confirm they are ******

seand

Hi, I've been a total idiot and almost for sure broken my presonus eris 4.5 speakers Eris 4.5 | PreSonus but i just want to check they can't be saved before replacing them because they are just out of warranty.

I was trying to hook up a record deck to them using an external amplifier via some speaker cable. The sound was coming through fine but i then stupidly turned on the speakers as well and the cone immediately pushed all the way out and made a humming noise on one of the speakers. Now when turn the speakers on the cone pushes out and makes a humming noise even if i have nothing connected to them and there is no other sound coming through. Are they completely broken or does anyone think this can be fixed somehow (unlikely i know).

Firstly because i'm a newbie idiot who doesn't know what he's doing and secondly because i could not get any volume at all connecting a record deck to them so i thought they might work as stand alone speakers with an external amp which i connected the record deck to instead. Expensive lesson. Any idea where i could get a quote from for a repair?

I'd say they're toast. Sure, they can be repaired but probably not for much less than a new pair.

And why would you do this?:

Because the opportunity presents itself with the connectors on the speakers :eek:

Agree they are likely toast, or at least the powered one if the one with just the speaker connectors is just a straight up speaker.

Have you checked the "external amp" to see if that is toast as well?

Attachments

• PRESONUS+RPRERISE45-1edit.JPG
    PRESONUS+RPRERISE45-1edit.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 8
I'm afraid you are correct. The opportunity presented itself exactly like that and i was too tempted think twice. I guess the other speak will be ok as its not making a horrible noise. Still i doubt i can only buy one as they come in pairs. Maybe the working speaker will have some use. I guess you don't think there is any point in looking into a repair?. I will check the external amp for any additional toasting that may have occurred right now. Thanks for the replies.

Any idea where i could get a quote from for a repair?

Start at https://www.presonus.com/support/repairs

Venture to guess that just putting it on the bench to look at it and determine the problem might run $60-70 plus then the cost of replacing the main amplifier board (doubt they would fix down to a component level). Also add shipping for both units to and from (guessing they would want both units back).

New speaker time, perhaps an upgrade?

Hi,
Few things...

First - Don't turn them on again. If you've done damage then running them will only make that worse or permanent.

When you wired up the external amp did you run cables from Extrenal amp to speaker A and external amp to speaker B,
or did you run Amp to speaker A, then bridge across (as you would just using the speakers normally).

If it was Amp to A + Amp to B, then speaker B (the passive one) is almost certainly fine.
If not, bets are off.
Test the passive speaker with a known-to-work amplifier and set it aside.

As far as the active speaker or, rather, the one with the amp in it, it sounds like you've done damage.
However, if it's still pushing the cone out when you power on, that would suggest that the amp is damaged and the driver may not necessarily be.

That being the case, and if speaker B is fine, it may be worthwhile having someone look at this.
Weigh up what they cost and what inspection/repair would cost, but if you can narrow it down to being the internal amp which is fault, and only that amp, that'll help guide your decision.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I ran the External Amp to speaker A and B separately. I will test the passive speaker with a known to work amp when I get home. Thanks for the help guys.

Unfortunately I ran the External Amp to speaker A and B separately. I will test the passive speaker with a known to work amp when I get home. Thanks for the help guys.

Neither situation is good, but that's the preferable option. ^^

Speaker B is designed to take an amplifier input, which is what you fed it. Fingers crossed, that one should be fine.

Being the electronics tinkerer that I am and if I wasn't intending to have the powered speaker repaired, I might consider opening up the failed unit and try to disconnect the power amp from the speaker(s) and just running it as a passive speaker via the same connections on the rear (presuming that the speaker itself wasn't damaged). If the amp that was used isn't toast use that to drive the speakers once the failed one is modified.

Being the electronics tinkerer that I am and if I wasn't intending to have the powered speaker repaired, I might consider opening up the failed unit and try to disconnect the power amp from the speaker(s) and just running it as a passive speaker via the same connections on the rear (presuming that the speaker itself wasn't damaged). If the amp that was used isn't toast use that to drive the speakers once the failed one is modified.

I was considering that but the active crossover stuff put me off.
With tweeter and woofer he'd need some kind of crossover, right?

Sounds like the power amp section is fried. Going passive sounds good to me.
IF the drivers are still good.
A suitable crossover could be gotten from parts express or madisound probably.

But then again, I'm sure the op just wants them repaired.
:D

Edit: Did I read it right? These monitors are designed for both active and pasive operation?

If so, there would have to be a passive Xover it would seem.

I was considering that but the active crossover stuff put me off.
With tweeter and woofer he'd need some kind of crossover, right?

I thought about that, but with just two wires going to the unpowered speaker I was thinking they may have simple passive crossovers in each.

Technically the buggered speaker's amplifier has gone into "offset mode" and the power supply DC is flowing through the voice coil. The amplifier is almost certainly borked and probably the woofer.

I do NOT suggest the OP open up the failed speaker since, (WVLR!) he is plainly a technical nitwit and might kill hisself!

Such single powered speakers are really only glorified laptop speakers* so the opportunity has now come to get a set of proper monitors. The new co-axial Pioneers are garnering great praise.

*Having said that! I am presently listening to a pair in my living room while I do this and ingest some caffeine . At low levels (must not disturb 'er indoors in the bedroom!) they are quite pleasant. Nice bit 'o' Schumann piano on Radio 3.

Dave.

The new co-axial Pioneers are garnering great praise.

*Having said that! I am presently listening to a pair in my living room while I do this and ingest some caffeine . At low levels (must not disturb 'er indoors in the bedroom!) they are quite pleasant. Nice bit 'o' Schumann piano on Radio 3.

Dave.
At 600 usd and almost 800 for the 7s, they had better be nice! Especially considering that price is for a single unit not a pair.

At 600 usd and almost 800 for the 7s, they had better be nice! Especially considering that price is for a single unit not a pair.

Ah! Did not see that sort of price. £1138 pr top price here. Thomann will surely beat that by quite a bit but FKs where OUR exchange rate will take us now the Xenophobes have buggered the economy.

Anyway! OP should be made to PAY for his foolishness!

Dave.

I will test the passive speaker with a known to work amp when I get home. Thanks for the help guys.

How did that turn out for ya? If they work, then Mark's idea of using them as passive speakers is a good one. Use your external amp and never power on the internal amps.

Back