Is these boards dead?

I am so messed in the head right now, one second I want to record next I want to get a secure prosperity.

My motivation level is in the gutter. I moved to portland and back and just worked my way out of debt. I collect disability so living poor on the west coast and coming back kind of killed my motivation to make music. I just watch tons of **** and go to my part time job.

I am barely even playing and I blame it on my cheap acoustic guitar and I can't play like nick drake or anything,

I want to rock but also am interest in getting a tech job in the near future.

Are there any more lively boards than these? whens the best time to post on this board?

I don't know. I guess you could visit The Gear Page and endlessly debate the value of 1N34A diodes vs D9E diodes in the Klon circuitry, or if quarter sawn necks really are better sounding than flat sawn necks in your strat, or if Les Pauls that weigh under 8 lbs sustain better than 10 lb Les Pauls.

Hit the right topic over there and you might get 400 replies in 2 days. This one has 250 in a day. What is an aesthetic deal breaker for you on guitars? | The Gear Page

Its a bit too esoteric for me. I really can't hear the difference between a straight guitar cord and a curly guitar cord.

Dang! :eek: After liquidating all my gear and being in a musical hibernation for 6 years, I dove back in with a cheap ($79) Rogue dreadnought 6-string from GC. That's all I had for 2 years. So with that, a couple of borrowed picks, pencil and scrap paper, I continued to write new songs. Then I got a small digital recorder. After recording my first 12 songs, I had them Copyrighted. Then I saved and saved and bought another acoustic - then a mic - then a bass - then an electric 6-string - then an audio interface and DAW for recording/mixing - then a nice pair of studio monitors. One little piece at a time.. over 4 years. All that on a meager retirement.

Hang in there, man! :guitar:

I am so messed in the head right now, one second I want to record next I want to get a secure prosperity.

My motivation level is in the gutter. I moved to portland and back and just worked my way out of debt. I collect disability so living poor on the west coast and coming back kind of killed my motivation to make music. I just watch tons of **** and go to my part time job.

I am barely even playing and I blame it on my cheap acoustic guitar and I can't play like nick drake or anything,

I want to rock but also am interest in getting a tech job in the near future.

Are there any more lively boards than these? whens the best time to post on this board?

I feel your pain.

After not recording for 20 years (if that's what it was, lol), I got the bug and got back into it again a year or so ago. Regret is starting to set in. It's very expensive. That's not the main reason for the discouragement for me, though. I have so much to learn. So much so, getting overwhelmed with information and trying to digest things is a fun little feature. Especially as a person who is impatient and wants to be the next Nile Rodgers overnight (I just dated myself). All of these things are around me. A MIDI controller, an analog bass guitar, a half-OK mic, and never mind all the money spent on plugins I have zero idea what they do other than they look cool and promise me easier results from Grammy award winners with flat brimmed hats and edgy lingo.

All of those things crammed into a DAW I am learning on the fly with the Ableton manual and Youtube videos with expert advice. Plus joining a forums with like minded people.

So guess what I learned today? Clip gain. Tinkering with automation. How to import practice tracks from a repository. All the while scratching my head on where to even start. It sure does not sound like the stuff I hear on Spotify.

The pros make it sound so easy! Oh, and I am learning music theory on top of all of this. That should keep me busy until I keel over.

In its heyday, HR was a great social outlet as well as a place to get advice. However, Facebook, Instagram and the like have now taken on the social role, and HR is a much quieter place now.

Folks that think home recording is expensive these days have no concept what it was like in the late 60s- early 70s. A Tascam 2340 was $600-700, a 3340 was $900+. No mixer yet, just plug the mics straight into the front. Want a mixer? Be prepared to fork over about a grand. Even tape was costing you $5 a reel for 1/4 tape. All this at a time when you were making between $1.40 and $4 an hour (yup, as a degreed chemist, my first real job paid me $3.90 an hour and I thought I hit the jackpot).

Today I've got a computer that cost me under $500, a 16 channel interface that cost me $275, mics that cost from under $100 to 250. Even my Zoom R24 was only $440, and I could do a lot of recording with just that and a half dozen mics.

Yeah, you can spend THOUSANDS buying the latest plugins, but unless you really know what you're doing, its probably money wasted. The plugins that are included with something like a Scarlett interface or with Reaper are pretty capable, certainly more than you had in 1970.

As for the place to start.... its called "put the microphone on the stand and hit the record button. "

If you’re looking for a board to motivate and inspire you..... good luck.

Often times boards do the opposite. People talk about doing shit, but don’t do shit :)

Back