Are there issues with mismatched Sampling rates ?

LazerBeakShiek

Rad Racing Team
Device at 44.1k interface at 48k, what should I be worried about?

Would that cause timing problems during recording in midi devices sharing a Master BPM?

Personally, I was thinking they would be backwards compatible.

If you connect two devices like this, then they usually fail to lock, but sometimes they will and broken audio with clips pops and bangs is normal. Normally I get a popup warning me sample rates don't match. On one combination things appeared to work normally, but the track would change length when rendered out on the screen - the cubase project at 48K showed it as a shorter track that played back with the pitch higher. It certainly messes up the BPM because it just replays faster and runs out early.
No idea what the single is?

The most common sample rate problem I've encountered is when you've got an interface with a SPDIF or ADAT digital input. Often the DAW can't "see" a device connected that way so it's possible for the software to be set to a different rate than the hardware. The software will flag the recording at one rate despite it being converted at a different rate. It will play back at the rate flagged in the file rather than the rate of the conversion.

Ok, the Roland is input USB(midi and sound I wanted to try to get the midi too), in the window it says 44.1k. In the DAW Reaper, it is recording at 48k with the apollo interface with UA's ASIO and is also USB.

Does the sample rate need to be forced to whatever the incoming processor device is decoding? Some older 16 bit machines might do 37.1k.

The sample rates should (1) be the same and (2) be clocked from the same source. Even two clocks running at the same rate are going to be out of sync to some extent. At least enough to cause some "micro-crackling" with signal...

Well, you're using a UA Apollo and Cubase and a Roland (???) that's connected via USB.

Knowing what that is might help. There almost has to be a way to change the clock source...

Also useful to know is what it is you are getting from the Roland via USB. If it's midi, then sampling rate doesn't come into it. If the Roland has an ADC in it, i.e. it's being used as an interface to transfer audio via USB, that could be an issue. On the other hand, if you do want to capture the Roland's audio, just go through the interface.

Back