Is there even a way to......

BxD

Live gig last night. I got the 25 gigs of WAV files from the sound guy, who was at the desk. After figuring out which ones were not of the same event (imported them all into CUBASE and deleted the ones that way), then I added a 2 stereo tracks from a ZOOM H2N I "hung" by attaching it to a Lighting C-Stand (in 4 channel recording mode).

I am finding that the little 4 channel is nearly usable "as-is", but with one MAJOR exception: There are people's voices heard (Talking, not cheering and clapping -- I wanted to hear that).

I am guessing "no", but thought I would ask... Is there anyone out there that had this problem who discovered a "reasonably" easy way to remove the chatter? I will / can do the work, but there is 60 mins of audio...

Is the chatter noticeable while you're playing? If not, it's possible that a gate might solve it, if it's a low enough level, and not mixed in with the music.

If you take the crowd noise and use fader automation (I assume when there is cheering you can't hear the talk). When the music is playing, pull the crowd noise down, when you want it heard, bring it up, rinse, repeat as required. It seems it is a simple mixing job.

If you take the crowd noise and use fader automation (I assume when there is cheering you can't hear the talk). When the music is playing, pull the crowd noise down, when you want it heard, bring it up, rinse, repeat as required. It seems it is a simple mixing job.

The crowd noise is not "on its own track". It bleeds into the main (useful) tracks.

That is what I was fearing... at one point, some idiot actually is heard saying "What's this?" - sounding like he actually was touching the mic.

Audience mics, or any mics that pick up the audience, should be well above them, high enough not to pick up any individual too strongly much less be within reach of any of them.

While you're at it, be sure the mic is absolutely centered between the left and right stacks, or as an alternative well off to the side primarily picking up one stack. You need to avoid having two arrival times resulting from the stacks being different distances from the mic.

That is what I was fearing... at one point, some idiot actually is heard saying "What's this?" - sounding like he actually was touching the mic.

It sounds like you were right there with the audience. That can't be a bad thing.

It sounds like you were right there with the audience. That can't be a bad thing.

Agreed totally! Crowd noise, even if it's bar noise of patrons chatting amongst themselves, are the character of the night & of the venue. You just have to work with it. If the guy physically touched the record device, you might be able to knock that moment down with a notch filter, I have been able to do that when my guitar neck hits the mic. Those people were an important part of the event, at least to them (!) and they were there, paying customers... I get that at open mics recording others with my DR-05. Most don't have the resources to record themselves and are happy to get a link emailed to them of their performance, crowd noise just reminds them of the happening. It is just a hobby to me, but furthers the scene in my local area in some small way... I see it a lot, I'm playing my heart-felt song but nobody is paying a lot of attention to me; they are talking amongst themselves, looking over occasionally. Unlike Billy Joel, it ain't me that they come to see, it's the glass of beer and their friends, the next chicks in the door, etc... I am just icing on the cake and even in a cake situation, who comes just for the icing, or even for the cake - it's about being out, for a meet-up. IMHO

Back