is there anybody out there

Paul condie

Hi guys and gals

Can someone please please help me - i'm a time served acoustic, electric guitarist, vocalist and 14 years ago I successfully recorded my material using an Apple Imac using garageband with apple loops for my home recordings and all was fine and dandy, filling my soundcloud page with many beautifully recorded pieces - however the imac eventually died so 4 years ago i invested in a custom built desktop tower running an asus gaming Z170 motherboard and windows 10 as my OS innocently expecting the same performance as the apple mac. My DAW is adobe audition but chunks of this are greyed out for some reason (iv'e tried others but the same issues persist). I've had nothing but problems mostly due to the fact that the imac was plug in and play and this set up seems to be a lot more complicated. i'M USING A BEHRINGER UCA22 to talk to the tower. Iv'e used focusrite interface equipment as well. I'm mainly a musician with sadly very little knowledge of building a home recording system but i'm trying my best. The constant loop of frustration is taking me to the end of my tether - Iv'e watched every youtube vid out there and tried every which way but loose but i can't seem to get anywhere - iv'e just updated my system to 24gb of ram but it's no use. Latency is a big issue even with the big ram update plus if i actually get a signal to the DAW i can't get it to my monitors even though each track is armed for recording and monitoring is enabled. All drivers for the Behringer have been updated - what do i do - any help would be appreciated.

Hi Paul and welcome. I also have AA. The 1.5 version and I got it in the days of XP it did not play nice with W7 so I am not surprised W10 gives bother.

I am a little confused as to what you are doing with what? For instance "UCA 22? Do you mean the UCA 202/222 or the UMC 22? Whichever interface you have I doubt you are going to get very low latency although you might try 'ASIO4all'. The best drivers for PCs you see are ASIO, properly written for the specific interface.

Due to all this confusion I am going to suggest you start with 'Audacity' (dld it from 'Nite.com') since this is as basic a DAW as you can get and just about everyone here knows it. Audacity does not support ASIO drivers but we can cross that bridge when we come to it. Let's get you up and running first.

Dave.

Two things you've said have suggested a cause and a cure: "latency" and "monitor".

So it would be handy to know the rest of your set up.

I suspect you are using your interface for input, and are monitoring through computer speakers which are attached to the computer's output jack. Perhaps you can confirm this.

If you are using a Behringer UCA 202 or UCA 222, neither is very suitable for audio recording. The Behringer UMC22 should be, and Focusrite most definitely would be.

I've never been keen on Adobe Audition (which was once Cool Edit). Audacity is simple but has limitations. I would recommend you start with Reaper, which has a low CPU footprint, is pretty easy to get going straight away, but is a powerful and flexible DAW.

Whichever DAW you use, you need to make sure your interface is the centre of your system. All inputs go into it, and all outputs (headphones, speakers) come out of it. That means you bypass your PC's internal sound completely, which is the most likely source of latency.

Reaper would have been my next suggestion Gecks' I wanted the OP to get all his lil' ducks in a row so we could see what he was at...THEN move on to a more complex DAW.

We found AA 1.5 very useful for certain things. It will play just about any audio file and do MP3 and other conversions but Samplitude was our main recording DAW.

Dave.

Reaper would have been my next suggestion Gecks' I wanted the OP to get all his lil' ducks in a row so we could see what he was at...THEN move on to a more complex DAW.

Reaper is basic? I have no time to go through everything in it. Samplitude makes better wav's?

OP, 'is there anyone' ?
A- Not likely. The outside universe is failures and endless repeats in the vastness of space.

..the inside universe shows potential.

Reaper is basic? I have no time to go through everything in it. Samplitude makes better wav's?

OP, 'is there anyone' ?
A- Not likely. The outside universe is failures and endless repeats in the vastness of space.

..the inside universe shows potential.

Err? Don't ring us...

Dave.

Back