That's IT!!! I've had it!!!

Oscar Myer

Hi all...

So once again I've found myself wasting hours and getting totally frustrated trying to set up my MIDI gear - this time in Reaper - and getting it all to work. I usually manage to stumble on it somehow, but this time I give up. I hit a wall. I have no more time to sit here covered in wires trying everything under the sun to get it running.

I'm thinking about putting out some money on a half decent library of VST plugins. I've never worked with any plugins before except for a few FX - reverb, chorus and such. But from what I see, working with these plugins would make my life a lot easier. I also see that the sounds that are out there today are nothing short of spectacular.

My question is: Do most quality VST plugin bundles work with most DAWs? I want to start using Reaper. Will a quality library of VST work with it?

Is it really as easy as it looks to work with VST? Would it be the same as the way I work with my MIDI modules... pick a patch to use and then go with it?

My MIDI keyboard controller is old, meaning that it isn't USB. I have an M-Audio UNO USB MIDI interface. Will I still be able to use it with plugins? Or will I have to buy a new MIDI controller as well?

I am very serious about trashing all the stuff I have and going in a new direction. I just want to sit down in front of my computer, turn on the controller, spark up Reaper and make music. Am I going down the right path that will take me to that place where I want to be? So many questions to be asked but after all, this is a Newbie forum so I'm pretty sure I'm asking these questions in the right place and to the right people. :)

All help and guidance is very much appreciated!!!

Bobby

Hi Oscar,
Sorry you're getting it rough. If we can help with your current hardware setup don't be afraid to backtrack a little and have another go at that
but, to answer your questions.....

My question is: Do most quality VST plugin bundles work with most DAWs? I want to start using Reaper. Will a quality library of VST work with it?

Yes, sort of. :p
The safest bet is just to visit a plugin/virtual instrument manufacturers website and check which hosts support them.
Most makers will have a grid of supported hosts+versions.

My MIDI keyboard controller is old, meaning that it isn't USB. I have an M-Audio UNO USB MIDI interface. Will I still be able to use it with plugins? Or will I have to buy a new MIDI controller as well?

Your keyboard combined with midi interface will happy speak to whatever DAW you're using.
As long as midi gets to the daw, you're good.

Is it really as easy as it looks to work with VST? Would it be the same as the way I work with my MIDI modules... pick a patch to use and then go with it?

Easier, arguably.
You can load up an instrument, pick a patch and start recording.
Once done you can decide that patch was no good and audition new ones, using your recording as the audition material.
There's no need to ever find yourself committed to anything with midi and virtual instruments.

Have a google around, particular in Reaper's forums, for free virtual instrument suggestions.
Quality will vary but there are plenty of freebies flying around.
If nothing else they'll let you figure out if you like that workflow before committing cash.

For straight up effects/processes, (eq/comp/verb), I believe Reaper comes loaded with those.

Hope that helps. :)

Hey Bobby, my friend!

I just stumbled upon your post! If you've not used VSTs and VSTIs much, you're in for a treat. I have hundred of them on Reaper and they are some really nice ones. Mine are all free versions except one or two. If you have any particular instruments or effects in mind I might suggest some of the ones I like. Here is a link to one of the many places you can find VSTs/VSTIs: VST 4 FREE -
Piano & Strings Plug-ins

I have a file labeled "VST" and I make sure all my VST/VSTI downloads go to it. Some will have to be extracted after downloading, but as long as you make sure everything goes to your specified file, you're fine. And you have to make Reaper's FX folder scan that file. Then just select "load vitural instrument on track" (if it's an instrument), and select your piano, cello or whatever and you're set. If it's just effects such as reverb you can just add them to a regular track. Clear as mud, haha. It's easy to do but hard to explain.

Travis

Hi Bobby. PLEASE don't give up yet!

I have had arguments (genteel ones of course!) here and other places bemoaning the lack of MIDI ports on many new interfaces. "You can do it all with USB" it is said (you can't) . Then the case for those MIDI-USB lumps such as you have is trotted out. Some years ago there were many posts from peeps having all sorts of problems with those devices.

I am sure that if you got a 'proper' Audio Interface with MIDI ports such as the Steinberg UR22 (better the NI KA6) you would find hooking up MIDI gear very straightforward.

Now, Reaper is great! I have it, paid for but rarely use it and never I don't think for MIDI (old dog, few new tricks) and I am not sure it is the best DAW for that purpose? If you used the UR22 with the supplied Cubase DAW and ASIO drivers I am sure you would get on famously. In fact you can download a 30 day trial of Cubase, worth a do?

Are you perchance in UK? What PC OS are you running?

Despite the MIDI hardware naysayers, if you look at much of the latest and greatest audio kit you will see DIN ports in great abundance. The protocol is still very much alive. Even very dinky kit has it in the form of a multi-pin breakout cable or, increasingly, 3.5mm TRS jacks.

Dave.

Last edited:
Just for background,
last I spoke to Bobby we arrived at a working 'live recording' setup.
The thread is here but the gist was midi keyboard - midi data - midi instrument - audio output - back to interface - record.

Just pointing that out because I'm not sure getting midi data into a PC is the problem, although please correct if I'm wrong, Bobby. I know you've been trying different things. :)

If you like the sound of your MIDI gear, then why not sort out the issue rather than spend more money?

Just for background,
last I spoke to Bobby we arrived at a working 'live recording' setup.
The thread is here but the gist was midi keyboard - midi data - midi instrument - audio output - back to interface - record.

Just pointing that out because I'm not sure getting midi data into a PC is the problem, although please correct if I'm wrong, Bobby. I know you've been trying different things. :)

Is he in UK? I ask because if so he can borrow my KA6. PBSure that will fix his wagon.

Dave.

Hi Travis!!!

Thanks for the link... I've been there all morning, downloading a ton of their stuff. My problem now is, where do I unzip them so that I can use them in Reaper?
I'm dying to try them out!!!

Bobby

Thanks one and all for the advice - and for giving me new ideas.

I want to give the free plugins that I've downloaded a try. Problem is, I don't know where to unzip them so that Reaper will see them.

As always, your help is very much appreciated!

Bobby

I do like my MIDI gear. The problem is, I just don't have the time or patience to try and get them up and running right now.
That and the fact that my MIDI gear is kind of old now and some of the VSTs I've listened to actually sound better than my modules.

Bobby

Look under Preferences. You will find a place to specify the folder where the plugin dll file go.

Hi Travis!!!

Thanks for the link... I've been there all morning, downloading a ton of their stuff. My problem now is, where do I unzip them so that I can use them in Reaper?
I'm dying to try them out!!!

Bobby

You can unzip them anywhere. However, when you do unzip them, you then need to tell Reaper where to find them.

It is handy to create a folder somewhere that's instantly recognisable, e.g. 'vst plugins'.

Unzip your plugins into this folder.

Open Reaper, then go to "options", then "preferences", then "plugins", then "VST".

Where it shows "VST Plugins Settings", click on the "Add . . ." button. This will allow you to navigate to the folder in which you've unzipped your plug-ins anbd add it to the plugin path.

Click on "Re-scan". This tells Reaper to go and find all the plug ins that are in the folder.

You're done.

To use a vst quickly. go to "Insert", then "Virtual instrument on new track". This will add a new track, set up to record a midi input, and bring up a dialog box with all the VSTs listed.

Well... progress is being made - I think. I am now able to see and assign my VSTi in Reaper.

There is a problem, however. Somehow I lost the ASIO driver I was using. With all the messing around with things I know nothing about over these past few days, it doesn't surprise me.

Another question: Do I have to use an ASIO driver specific to Reaper? If so, could someone point me in the right direction to get it?

If I can use any ASIO driver, where would I get this?

Forgive me for being such a pain in the butt... Seems I've gotten myself into a spot where I know nothing about what I'm doing anymore. :facepalm:

Bobby

Your ASIO drivers should be specific to yoru interface, but since you only have a MIDI interface, not audio, not sure they matter. How do you listen to music from your computer, the built-in soundcard?

Hey Bobby,

Just got home from work. Those other good guys have you taken care of with answers, it seems.

I will add that whenever I download a VST or VSTI and get to the point where you can browse for the download location, I go ahead and find my VST folder and that way everything goes there. The .dll files are the main files you need, but you can dump the whole download into the VST folder and Reaper gets what it needs. Some downloads will require a rar extraction and you may need to get a free rar tool for that. All of it is easy after a while.

Have you noticed how easy Reaper is on your CPU? It's really light. And after a while, you might try some of the free skins for Reaper that make it easier to navigate or be like your previous DAW. Another good thing to do is, inside the Reaper FX browser (view/fxbrowser) you can make catagories for all your instruments and effects. It makes it much nicer when you want to select a reverb, compressor or piano, for instance; you have them all together. The search function is handy too. Reaper is very deep if you want it to be, but also can be simple...luckily for me!

You don't need a driver for Reaper, but for your interface and maybe some of your keyboards and other hard gear may require a driver. Getting your interface settings set up can be tough at first. I also like to turn off Windows internal audio as I mentioned before. "Audioserv" I believe it's called and can be found via Control-Alt-Delete, then task manager, then services and find "audioserv" and turn it off.

And so... I've decided to close up everything for the night. Tomorrow I'm going to pull everything pertaining to music out, and start all over again, wire by wire. Who knows... maybe a miracle will happen? :confused:

Bobby

Your ASIO drivers should be specific to yoru interface, but since you only have a MIDI interface, not audio, not sure they matter. How do you listen to music from your computer, the built-in soundcard?

I listen to my music and everything else on my computer through the on board sound card. For music I have a Mackie USB mixer with reference speakers. Also, there's no drivers needed for the Mackie, but both DAWs warn me that there isn't any ASIO driver detected.

Bobby

I listen to my music and everything else on my computer through the on board sound card. For music I have a Mackie USB mixer with reference speakers. Also, there's no drivers needed for the Mackie, but both DAWs warn me that there isn't any ASIO driver detected.

Bobby

So you send sound out through USB to the Mackie? Try downloading Asio4All as the driver.

Back