TEAC Reel To Reel Sound Problem

philgw39

I have a TEAC X-3-R Reel To Reel Tape Deck which was working O.K. and recently the Capstan Belt broke. I purchased a new belt and installed it. All the normal functions are working again such as play, fast forward, reverse and auto reverse. The problem is, there is No Sound coming from the deck now! The tape is fine and plays on my other machine and I did not touch any other function on the deck when replacing the belt. Any help in this regard would be very much appreciated.

Retrace your steps....maybe you accidentally disconnected something.
Belt replacement shouldn't have cause a no-signal situation.

I agree, belt replacement should not have caused the problem. Could not find anything amiss and did not disconnect anything along the way.
Thanks for the reply.

If the machine was playing audio before you fitted the belt it is the most unlikely coincidence that a separate, unconnected fault occured, possible but very unlikely.

If you have a schematic of the recorder please post it or a link to it. I could not quickly turn one up.
Do you have a testmeter and know how to use it? If not I think you should take the machine to a technician.

Dave.

If the machine was playing audio before you fitted the belt it is the most unlikely coincidence that a separate, unconnected fault occured, possible but very unlikely.

If you have a schematic of the recorder please post it or a link to it. I could not quickly turn one up.
Do you have a testmeter and know how to use it? If not I think you should take the machine to a technician.

Attached PDF of the schematic.

This is where I found it.... HiFi Engine - Owners and Service Manuals
Have to sign up, but nothing bad happens in the process and I don't think I've gotten any spam email originating from info I gave them.

And another......
Hifi Manuals - all manuals for free

Attachments

• hfe_teac_x-3r_service schm.pdf
    309.5 KB · Views: 16
Thanks to all that answered my problem. I found the issue, and it was the Plate Assy. Lifter Base. It was stuck and didn't allow the tape to reach the play head on the machine! I put some lubricant on the moving parts and now it seems to be working correctly. I'm happy it wasn't something more involved or that needed a tech.
Thanks again for all your response and yes I have a Service Manual for the tape deck.

I am obliged Mark. Now I know they are harmless I shall sign up to HF Engine!

Phill, I am glad you are sorted but for the next time! Do you have a meter? It is a testement to this old kit that it just keeps running (I have a Teac A3440, never had an electronic fault save noisy pots and that because they don't get moved) . This happy state cannot last however. I see the machine is stuffed with relays? They can fail as can the transisrors driving them.

While we are here? One area of common faults is the power supply. Not that specific machine but PSUs in general. In any case the first thing to check in the event of a fault is DC power but, be VERY careful measuring volts around old regulated supplies like this, they are not short protected as modern (ha!) 78/79 regs are. In fact if ever anyone has such a regulator circuit fail it makes best sense to just bolt in a modern chip regulator.

Dave.

Gday Dave.
I too have an old teac 3340 but I haven't used it for maybe so years so I guess it's pretty well stuffed now lol.
I would love to get it going again but there doesn't seem to be any techs here in Perth Australia from my preliminary searches.
Nice to hear they haven't all disappeared.
Cheers

Back