TASCAM videos, self-help books

Teach

I'm a newbie trying to "self-educate", so I've been checking out all the web sites for info. So far, I've decided to purchase the following equipment for recording acoustic guitar/vocals/maybe some keyboard: Shure SM-57, ShureSM-58, TASCAM 424 MkIII, AKG K-66 headphones. I plan on asking for a "package" price from some of the on-line music stores.

I'm wondering if the TASCAM videos (beginner and advanced) they put out for their Portastudios are any good. Has anyone seen them? I'm also looking at reference/how-to books such as they ones Dragon has on this site (e.g. - Craig Anderton). Any feedback or ideas on these?

Thanks for your help!

Yo Teach:] [That's what I do for a living; music is my other living that's really living.]

Anderton is pretty good with words; I've read him when he was with Electronic Musician and talked to him on the net about music and recording.

If you take time and study the articles in various places on this site, you will get a good education in recording. But, it's a non-ending learning process; kind of like golf. One day your swing is great and the next time you left it at a different golf course.

Tip: Before you buy expensive stuff, hear it, try it, or rent it; if it works for you, then buy it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of RECORDING SOUNDS.

Green Hornet

Thanks for your reply, Green Hornet! I'm definitely doing some reading up on these forums and it has been pretty informative. Still no word from anyone who has seen the TASCAM videos, though....I think I'll try posting something in the TASCAM users forum. Sometimes videos can be extremely helpful, especially if you have no experience and no one local to help. But, if I can pick it up by reading a well-written book or web site, then there's no sense in spending money on a video.

Back