Tascam US-16X08 paired with the TUBEOPTO8

JoshALL

Hello All,
Wondering if someone could give me some advice and I hope it is a pretty standard question.

I invested in the TUBEOPTO8 to act as a preamp for my old USB Zoom R16 because I did not like the sound of the preamp that it had.

But I recently ordered in the TASCAM US-16X08 because I wanted the extra 2 inputs it has for instruments, so I can get full use in recording with all 8 channels.

My question is: would it be beneficial at all to keep the TUBEOPTO8 as a preamp INTO the Tascam? Or would the preamp on this unit alone be fine without it?

All the help is much appreciated.

With the TubeOpto9, you should be able to run the 8 channels out of the Opto into the line inputs on the Tascam, PLUS have the original 8 mic inputs on the front. If you wanted to keep the instrument inputs open on the Tascam, you could run 6 lines to the back of the 16x08 and have 10 inputs on the Tascam to use.

I use the preamp of the 16x08 as is, but if you find the TubeOpto gives you something you like, use it. No reason you can't have both this way.

With the TubeOpto9, you should be able to run the 8 channels out of the Opto into the line inputs on the Tascam, PLUS have the original 8 mic inputs on the front. If you wanted to keep the instrument inputs open on the Tascam, you could run 6 lines to the back of the 16x08 and have 10 inputs on the Tascam to use.

I use the preamp of the 16x08 as is, but if you find the TubeOpto gives you something you like, use it. No reason you can't have both this way.

Agree with all the above but what a shame Josh did not ask here before he bought the 16-08? If he had I am sure someone would have suggested an AI with ADAT ports which could have expanded the system to 16 mic pre amps.

Dave.

Hello Dave,
I am sort've a newb, and let me tell you, I am probably doing this all the wrong ways to begin with.

But I would definitely be interested in hearing about this AI with ADAT option for future ideas.

As well, just want some clarification...
If I ran the TUBEOPTO8 into the Line ins on the back, I wouldn't be able to also use all 8 mic inputs to record would I? Because there is only 8 outs.

As mentioned, the Zoom R16 was pretty basic,
So I am just learning as I go.

Run 8 mics to the TubeOpto, then run the balanced outputs to the 8 line inputs of the Tascam, Then plug 8 mics in the mic inputs of the Tascam. When you load up the Tascam interface software, it includes a mixer with 16 channels. That means that once you get the USB connection established, you can record 16 tracks at one time to individual tracks in your DAW. Make sure you download the latest 3.02 driver from the Tascam site. It fixed a lot of issues from previous versions of the driver. Its been stable for me, running Win10 on a Lenovo with an I5 and 12GB of RAM. I had some issues with the 2.x drivers.

The "disadvantage" to this setup is that you are using the TubeOpto as an analog preamp, not using the direct optical feed to your recording system. As long as the ART provides a good signal, you should still be in good shape.

As with anything, there are a few settings you'll have to know about for things like direct monitoring but most of it has already been answered somewhere.

I've got the R24, and one thing that I was thinking about was to actually do a comparison between my R24, 16x08 and my H4N using my matched pair of Rode M5 to get an idea of what the colorations are for each system. Its a project I have on the "back burner" for the next gloomy rainy cold day.

Yea, this is perfect for the 16X08. channels in the back 11-16 from the preamp and you have 16. 9-10 for instruments or mics non-phantom based. 1-8 for mics phantom or not. This would work perfect.

Set the DAW to 16 channels with ASIO drivers and you are set.

The 16X08 has no optical connections, but in this case you don't really need them.

Back