Tascam MX-2424 Problem arming tracks.

Andy in Wales

It was supposed to be so simple...
I just got a used Tascam MX-2424 recorder, I have hooked it up to my Apirit Folio mixer using the analogue connections, and can monitor a drum machine signal I'm using to try to figure it all out. However, I don't seem to be able to arm the tracks for recording...pressing the REC SEL button and the track select buttons gives me no pleasing little lights on the meters. The guy who used it before had a couple of them linked up and used the remote, so may have left it in a mode which defeats these buttons. I have switched from remote to local control and tried other stuff, but am now ready to cry!
Also the time remaining on the HD seems to be 00.00.00. mins which looks less than encouraging, although there is nothing file-wise there. Am I missing something or have I bought a turkey?
Please kind people help me out here?
Thanks so much for any helpful assistance you can offer a thicko/newbie.
Andy

Hi and thanks for the fast response...There's nothing in the online manual relevent. But think you & I are on the right track as it's having issues "loading the volumes" when I re-mount the SCSI HD. Tryin to re format it now...

The MX will not let you arm tacks unless there is a hard drive mounted. You probably need to low level format the drive and initialise it. Don't think the MX is faulty because of a hard drive, I have about 30 hard drives that I use with mine.

Regarding the manuals, they are very confusing but you need to read all the manuals and the updates, the MX seems complicated, and it is, but only because there are many operating options, but when you get it set up the way you want to work it is a breeze to use.

Alan.

Back