Tascam DP24 versus Audio Interface

This is not a negative comment directed at you, [MENTION=196427]hautbois16[/MENTION], merely an observation concerning the lack of paragraphs in your post as it appears here.

What I did was to copy your text, then paste it into my PC's WordPad with the intention of spacing the paragraphs for easier reading. Oddly enough, WordPad did that automatically. Cool! :cool:

I think you're doing a great job with your music there :thumbs up:

The End

This is not a negative comment directed at you, [MENTION=196427]hautbois16[/MENTION], merely an observation concerning the lack of paragraphs in your post as it appears here.

What I did was to copy your text, then paste it into my PC's WordPad with the intention of spacing the paragraphs for easier reading. Oddly enough, WordPad did that automatically. Cool! :cool:

I think you're doing a great job with your music there :thumbs up:

The End

I did the same once before, i.e. put paragraphs into a stream of text that hautbois posted. However, it was later that I discovered he was blind, so he would have been using non-conventional means of entering text.

I then realised it was a bit churolish to be critical of the lack of paragraphs.

I did the same once before, i.e. put paragraphs into a stream of text that hautbois posted. However, it was later that I discovered he was blind, so he would have been using non-conventional means of entering text.

I then realised it was a bit churolish to be critical of the lack of paragraphs.

:) I definitely realized the situation. Also noted the lack of a single run-on sentence, so the paragraphs are there.. just 'invisible' ;)

They say there are no dumb questions. So if the upcoming is a smart question for me, does that just mean I am a dumb person?

I have a Tascam DP24 I have laid a number of tracks on. Since I am recording directly into the Tascam, if I plan to do most/all of my mixing/mastering on Audacity, do I actually need an Interface? It seems to me the interface would be if I were recording into the computer itself which I am not doing but for reasons I am unclear on I keep getting told I must have the audio interface and I am trying to figure out why

Sometimes I mix on my TASCAM DP24 (The Original) & sometimes I dump it to DAW for mixing. Always with an Interface. But not sure why you would need an IF if you are simply mixing. I would THINK you can just plug your cans into your Computer. The upside to mixing on the DAW for me is the AUTOMATION.

Don't let yourself become too discouraged. A lot of "Where you go from here" depends on what you ultimately want to do with your finished recordings. Since I am using my recordings mainly for my own entertainment and that of a few close friends, the setup I have works fine for me. If you want to keep separate access to the individual tracks for even finer mixing/mastering, you might want a DAW for some or all of your recording. I have heard several good reports about Reaper software; I understand that you can mix several tracks on that program, though I don't know how many tracks you can record concurrently. Reaper is also reasonably priced in comparison to what it can do, and you are allowed a 60-day trial period to make sure it is what you want (no refund is available once you pay for a license).
The DP24 is, in my opinion, a bit strange in the way it uses "tracks" on a card. If you open one of your music files, especially one on which you have worked quite a bit with sometimes several retakes on a part, you will find that you have sometimes a few hundred tracks showing. There is an option to recover some card space by deleting "unused tracks," and I have used that function several times, usually when I am finished with the song or at least very nearly so. I haven't learned the "alternative" - what can you do with those "unused tracks" since they are often "snippets" of your song.
The DP24 can be used effectively for making a demo of your song, and it could perhaps be used to lay down a few tracks as a "foundation" on which you could first mix it the way you want, then output it in stereo to play into a DAW or other system for adding more tracks and mixing/mastering for a final mix. How well you could do that yourself depends on your skill in engineering a production. I know that I am nowhere near that point myself, and I doubt that I will get there; but I certainly have a lot of fun making my recordings with the DP24 as the heart of my recording system in an environment where I am totally in charge all the way from imagination of the project out to its completion. Since there are some commercial recordings made under less favorable equipment than you have in that DP24, I encourage you to stay with it, and really "dig in" to the art of musicmaking. At age 76, I believe that you can make some good enjoyable music with the equipment you have; by contrast, the finest equipment in the hands of someone who is not any good at making music will likely produce mediocre results. I believe the equipment you have will serve as a great "lab" where you can experiment with various techniques and aspects of musicmaking and audio recording. The "road ahead" is a lot in your hands, and I encourage you to stay with it!

Thanks for your comment about the lack of paragraphs in my post; I would appreciate a tip, either off-list or on, concerning how to make paragraphs show in my posts. I receive my email in Outlook 2016, and Firefox is my current browser of choice. I had thought that if I were to hit Enter twice - the method we used in my typing class of ages (and ages) past, that would kick me out of the editor for doing a Quick Reply or Reply with Quote. I know that the editor in one social media system is quite sensitive in that regard; and I have on several occasions been "bumped out" of the editor with a very difficult task of finding my place in the message again.

How about that! It worked. My attitude is that of wanting to learn from many of you from time to time; and I hope I can at times give help or encourage/inspire another person on this system. I was glad to encounter someone who is using the same recorder as I am using. Again, thanks for your suggestion; it is well received.

Thanks. I'm not sure what folk use most of the time for entering messages on this system. I guess I am using the editor available in the message system here. I just hit Enter on Quick Reply, and an editor comes up for me to write. But at the end of the day, I want to do the best job I can when posting a message or a reply so that my entries are not too difficult to read. I'll gladly look at suggestions I receive from members of this system.

Thanks again.

Thanks. I'm not sure what folk use most of the time for entering messages on this system. I guess I am using the editor available in the message system here. I just hit Enter on Quick Reply, and an editor comes up for me to write. But at the end of the day, I want to do the best job I can when posting a message or a reply so that my entries are not too difficult to read. I'll gladly look at suggestions I receive from members of this system.

Thanks again.
I have had that same difficulty with paragraph spacing in editors on other sites. Even hitting Return multiple times slowly doesn't insert a space. So I took to composing in WordPad or Notepad on my PC, then copy paste to the editor.

Looks like you've got it now. Welcome!

The DP24 is, in my opinion, a bit strange in the way it uses "tracks" on a card. If you open one of your music files, especially one on which you have worked quite a bit with sometimes several retakes on a part, you will find that you have sometimes a few hundred tracks showing. There is an option to recover some card space by deleting "unused tracks," and I have used that function several times, usually when I am finished with the song or at least very nearly so. I haven't learned the "alternative" - what can you do with those "unused tracks" since they are often "snippets" of your song.
!

that is an excellent point, I need to use the "delete unused portions" feature more. I am certainly not going to be confused with a talented musician, so I find myself re-doing tracks routinely and, since I have not popped it into a DAW yet, I had not realized I would encounter that. Much appreciated

My understanding about the Tascam DP24 brings two considerations to the discusson here:

1) If you examine a card formatted and used in the DP24, there is a Music folder with a folder or two for "system management" and then a folder for each song you have on the card. When you open the folder for a particular song, you find in some cases many, many tracks, each containing a snippet of the song. Off hand, I do not know of a file which would give you separate access to each track of the 24 total which you use in your song. My point here is that I'm not sure how much good you can do if you try to use the files in a "song folder" to apply for mixing in another production system. I welcome any information anyone has on this point about the file structure of the Tascam DP24. (for operation without sight, I have been letting the dP24 "name" each song I create; thus the file names of my songs are of the general format "SONG.abcd" where "abcd" are digits. So far, my songs have been something like format "SONG.0028". I use that approach because I found it very difficult for me to do all that scrolling to select a literal song name.)

2) If you export a song to the DP24's Audio Depot, you get a standard stereo copy; again, there might be a way of which I am unaware by which one could export all the separate tracks to the Audio Depot.

It appears to me that one consequence of the DP24's system is that, while you can record the tracks of your song, bounce tracks around to free up tracks for reuse, mix everything down to a two-track stereo copy, and master the mix using the DP24's Mastering facility, there is not a way to get a folder with, for example, the separate 24 tracks of a multitrack performance so that they could be taken somewhere and mixed and mastered on more sophisticated equipment.

But for me in my recording endeavor, that setup is fine for me. Until I learn more about using the mastering facility, I'll use the Focus Scarlet II interface to get from the DP24 to my computer in the final form of any song. I just "do the mix" by adjusting all the used track faders for the mix I want, then play out the recording from the DP24 to Audacity via the Focus Scarlet II. I still plan to set up a "lab song" on which I can play with the Mixing and Mastering functions of the DP24. The main point I have learned about the Mixing section is that one must first Mark the beginning and end of the portion of the recording which is to participate in the mix. That's how one can allow some extra sounds to give a chord for tuning or cue the starting of a song. That also allows one to eliminate any extra sound which happens after the music is finished - as might happen if one has to walk away from a keyboard to move to the recorder.

The Mixing process creates a special file on the Dp24, and that file is dedicated to the Mastering operation. If the marks are placed precisely and the performer(s) are careful to keep the second or so on each side of the song clean, the final product should be free from any extra unwanted noises at either end of the song.

I know, of course, that I don't have a "professional" setup, and I doubt that I could afford one or even be able to operate much of the professional stuff these days because so much of it is heavily "mouse/touch-screen dependent" and "visually rich (often 'accessibly poor' for a totally-blind operator)." Still, I have a "hell of a good time" making music with the equipment I have.

Since I'm not actually working with a DP-24SD, I can only be of marginal help.

I'll address number 2 :

Section 13 - Exchanging Data with a Computer explains the procedure for exporting individual song tracks. They export to the SD card. From there you can connect the DP-24SD to your computer via USB, leaving the SD card in the DP, and transfer the contents of the SD to your computer. Or you can remove the SD and insert it into your computer's card reader for the same transfer. The files are transferred via the AUDIO DEPOT folder. Once in your computer you should be able to just drag and drop them into your DAW's tracks.

The individual tracks will have a .wav file extension.

The manual doesn't go into much more detail than that.

There is actually a blast from the past here on these boards concerning this.

Click Me : Tascam DP24 Transferring Files

Last edited:
" the recorded audio is stored as a polyphonic WAV file (16 or 24 bits), with the stereo mix on tracks 1-2, and the iso tracks as 3-5. Sound Devices offer their free WaveAgent utility software for file manipulation, if required (converting between poly and mono Wavs, editing metadata, previewing tracks, batch-editing and so on)."

I wonder if the above is moot? Maybe SD will let you download WaveAgent?

Dave.

some good news for me is I am starting to make wise life choices...I am packaging for sale large numbers of figures from Warhammer and 40k, selling them off. With the money I plan to pick up a modern, capable computer for explicitly and exclusively music. So much so that other than purchasing Reaper, I don't think I will even have it on the Internet. I plan to re-record pretty much everything using Reaper (which will have its own steep learning curve for me, but from lurking through some threads on here, it seems to be the best mix of capability and ease of use) and only use the Tascam on days Dad feels up to playing and singing to get him to record the song forms where I will need to do no editing at all.

But this thread has been incredible, I appreciate the input and wisdom of all who have contributed thank you so much

I am imminently probably going to buy a Tascam DP24 SD, so I printed out the manual. I have a MacBook Pro that needs serious service and have struggled with Garage Band and like to have a unit with knobs etc. One of the benefits also of having a stand-alone recording unit like the DP24 is that if my Mac is being worked on or crashes, my recorded music is separate - I have a lot of songs that I've written but don't have a good enough quality demo of. On page 67 of the DP24 SD manual it says that to connect to a computer you would use the USB port on the back panel to connect with a computer USB port using a mini-B-type USB 2.0 cable. I personally would need to look up what the detail of all that means but the important part is that you can export specified track files from the DP24 to the AudioDepot folder on the SanDisc you are recording onto using the DP24 (the folder you would have created by doing a FULL formatting, NOT quick formatting -p. 66- of your blank SanDisc before doing any recording onto it using the DP24). So then data transfer back and forth between a computer and the DP24 is done using the AudioDepot folder. You are not limited to only being able to transfer a stereo mix down to a computer. Also if I understand correctly, one has to have the same bit rate between the DP24 recording and the computer (software I guess). So I think that refers to the "Bit Rate 16 Bit, Hz 44.1 kHz" type info. So if I am understanding correctly, you can transfer WAV files - individual tracks - to work on if you want to work it up more using computer music software. For instance, the DP24 apparently only allows maybe one effect at a time on guitar - and maybe you want to change your guitar sound more than that on your final mix.

Back